Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
- A 2-3lb butternut squash.
- 1 medium onion.
- 4 cloves garlic.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil.
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt.
- 6-8 grinds of black pepper.
- 2 tablespoon Chinese 5 spice.
- 1 Moerlein OTR beer.
- 1 quart chicken stock.
- 1 pint heavy cream.
- 1-6 ounce tub Greek Yogurt
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Split squash lengthwise and remove seeds.
- Season cut side with olive oil salt and pepper.
- Cut onion into quarters, peel and remove stem.
- Peel garlic, season onion and garlic with oil, salt and pepper.
- Lay all (squash, onion and garlic) on foil lined cookie sheet in a single layer and roast for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until all are easily pierced with a small knife.
- Let squash cool and peel away skin.
- Heat a 5 quart Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and place squash, onion and garlic in pot.
- Add Chinese 5 spice and sauté for 3-5 minutes.
- Add beer and let simmer 6-8 minutes.
- Add stock and cream.
- Simmer an additional 10 minutes, then puree with an electric hand blender or in batches in a blender or food processor.
- Adjust consistency with stock or water and check seasoning.