CINCINNATI, OH (FOX19) - Despite the prevalence of school shootings in America, including the deadly February 27th shooting outside Cleveland at Chardon High School, 145 schools in Ohio still have not filed the required school safety plan and floor plans with Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine, his office said tonight.
FOX19 obtained a list of the schools not in compliance and discovered that more than a dozen of them are in our viewing area.
Among them: North College Hill Middle School, seven schools belonging to the Cincinnati Archdiocese, Cincinnati State STEM Academy, Impact Academy Cincinnati, and the College Hill Leadership Academy, among others. (The full list is available at the end of this article.)
"After the shooting that occurred earlier this year in Chardon, and several times since, I urged schools around Ohio who had not yet filed school safety plans to do so," Attorney General DeWine said in a statement. "These plans are critical for first responders to respond to incidents at school facilities."
Public schools in Cincinnati are in compliance.
"We even have, in partnership with the police, had drills --- active shooter drills --- which would be similar to the scenario that happened today in Connecticut," said Cincinnati Public Schools' spokeswoman, Janet Walsh.
Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut, has a brand new security system. But someone buzzed shooter Adam Lanza into the building Friday morning, likely recognizing him since his mother was a teacher at the school.
A similar security system exists in public schools in Cincinnati.
"There is an automatic lockdown system and anyone who gets into the school has to be buzzed through the office," said Walsh.
In an age when video of incomprehensible violence like the nation witnessed Friday is broadcast on TV's, computers, and cell phones it can be hard to shield children from it all.
"The first thing you want to do is just assure your child that they're safe," said Cincinnati Public Schools' psychologist Ron Miller. "Schools are one of the safest places for kids to be because of the plans that schools have in place, because of the people that are there, as well."
In light of what happened in Connecticut, Cincinnati area school leaders who have not filed plans with the attorney general will likely face a lot of tough questions in the days ahead.