Athlete who made racist Obama tweet no longer on football team - Cincinnati News, Weather, Sports from FOX19 NOW-WXIX

Former UNA athlete apologizes for racist Obama tweet

The tweet from Bradley Patterson The tweet from Bradley Patterson
The athletic department's response. The athletic department's response.
Bradley Patterson was apologetic after the incident. Bradley Patterson was apologetic after the incident.
FLORENCE, AL (WAFF) -

A UNA football player who sent out a racially charged tweet on Twitter is no longer on the team, according to officials.

Bradley Patterson tweeted a message that refers to President Obama by a racial epithet. That message was in reference to the president's speech interrupting a Sunday night NFL football game. Obama was speaking at a vigil for the victims of the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting.

Less than 45 minutes after his post, Patterson received a call from his coach telling him he wasn't allowed to come back to the team.

Mark Linder, the school's Athletic Director, sent out his own tweet saying, "Thx 2 everyone who brought to our attention. @UNAAthletics does not condone. He is no longer a member of the team."

A school spokesperson said the school found there's no question the tweet was issued by Patterson.

UNA President Dr. William Cale said the comment is a disgrace to the university, and he had a message for Patterson.

"If they happen to be watching this broadcast, I want them to know I'm deeply saddened by what was done and the adverse impact it has on our university and probably him as an individual," said Cale.

Patterson joined the team as a walk-on after the fourth game of this season. He has already been taken off the team's roster.

"I wasn't planning on all this happening; it just got too serious and out of hand," said Patterson.

With tears in his eyes, Patterson, a UNA freshman, talked about his recent post on Twitter.

"It really didn't occur to me until I started thinking about it late last night that I realized what I got myself into, and I realized I couldn't get myself out of it without at least asking for an apology," he said. "I want to send out thoughts and prayers to all the children and teachers that lost their lives last Friday, and may God be with them."

Patterson said he is not a racist.

"No, I was just not thinking and way over my head," he said. "I just want them to know that I ain't like that. I was raised better than that, and I just got in over my head."

With a click of the mouse, his tweet went viral - his world upside down.

"I put that on Twitter. I can't take it back, and it's always going to be in the back of somebody's mind that I said that, but I can't make them forgive me," he said.

He shared a message to his former teammates - a group of men he once fought so hard to be a part of.

"I just want to tell them I'm sorry for everything that went on. I really ain't like that. I ain't racist. I wasn't thinking last night when I put it on there, but I'm sorry to all the guys. I let them down and just don't give up on me," Patterson said.

He also wants to apologize to President Obama.

"I want to apologize to President Obama for my outbreak last night. What I said was uncalled for, but I  didn't even stop to think what he was saying before it was sent. If I could go back right now, I would change it. I wouldn't hesitate to do so," he said.

Copyright 2012 WAFF. All rights reserved.

Exit polls suggest Irish voters have repealed abortion ban

Friday, May 25 2018 2:32 AM EDT2018-05-25 06:32:46 GMT
    Friday, May 25 2018 11:54 PM EDT2018-05-26 03:54:45 GMT
    (Clodagh Kilcoyne/PA via AP). Presiding officer Carmel McBride looks on as a woman casts her vote in the referendum on the 8th Amendment of the Irish Constitution, on Thursday May 24, 2018, a day early for the people that live off the coast of Donegal ...(Clodagh Kilcoyne/PA via AP). Presiding officer Carmel McBride looks on as a woman casts her vote in the referendum on the 8th Amendment of the Irish Constitution, on Thursday May 24, 2018, a day early for the people that live off the coast of Donegal ...

Voters throughout Ireland have begun casting votes in a referendum that may lead to a loosening of the country's strict ban on most abortions.

Trump balks at North Korea's rhetoric but it has used worse

Friday, May 25 2018 2:22 AM EDT2018-05-25 06:22:51 GMT
    Friday, May 25 2018 11:55 PM EDT2018-05-26 03:55:32 GMT
    A federal judge in New York says President Donald Trump cannot block his critics on Twitter without violating the First Amendment. (Source: CNN)A federal judge in New York says President Donald Trump cannot block his critics on Twitter without violating the First Amendment. (Source: CNN)

North Korea language was milder than its typical inflammatory, harsh rhetoric but enough for Trump to kill summit.

Handcuffed Weinstein faces rape charge in #MeToo reckoning

Friday, May 25 2018 12:22 AM EDT2018-05-25 04:22:30 GMT
    Friday, May 25 2018 11:44 PM EDT2018-05-26 03:44:31 GMT
    (Photo by Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP, File). FILE - In this Jan. 8, 2017, file photo, Harvey Weinstein arrives at The Weinstein Company and Netflix Golden Globes afterparty in Beverly Hills, Calif. Law enforcement officials say Weinstein is expected to...(Photo by Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP, File). FILE - In this Jan. 8, 2017, file photo, Harvey Weinstein arrives at The Weinstein Company and Netflix Golden Globes afterparty in Beverly Hills, Calif. Law enforcement officials say Weinstein is expected to...

Harvey Weinstein is expected to turn himself in to police in New York City early Friday following a seven-month investigation into sexual assault allegations.