Attorney general releases statement on Newtown shooting lawsuit - Cincinnati News, FOX19-WXIX TV

Attorney general releases statement on Newtown shooting lawsuit

Posted: Updated:
NEWTOWN, CT (WFSB) -

The office of the attorney general released a statement after a New Haven lawyer filed for permission to sue the state on behalf of two Sandy Hook Elementary School parents.

Adam Lanza shot and killed his mother while she slept earlier this month, and then went to Sandy Hook Elementary School where he shot and killed 20 children, six adults and then killed himself as police moved in.

Attorney Irving Pinsky filed a $100 million claim to sue the state of Connecticut. The man with 20-plus years of personal injury experience filed it with the state's claims commissioner Thursday.

"I'm saying for a fact that the state did not do enough to provide for their safety," he told Eyewitness News on Friday.

Pinsky went on to say that "the state of Connecticut, and other states too, are failing to protect the children from guns."

Normal security measures in the Newtown school made all visitors get buzzed in. 

Pinsky said the parents of a survivor contacted him. He said that girl now suffers from emotional stress because she allegedly heard the horror unfold.

"The whole thing came on over the intercom, down to the screaming, cursing, the bang, bang, bang, and her friends are dead, and that's trauma," Pinsky said.

However when asked if hearing the announcement over the loudspeaker saved the children's lives, Pinsky said he did not think it did.

"I think that's a leap of logic that I can't even imagine," he said.

On Monday, Attorney General George Jepsen's office released the following statement.

"As Attorney General, my office has a statutory obligation to defend this claim. Our hearts go out to this family, and to all the children and families affected by the Newtown shootings," he said in the statement. "They deserve a thoughtful and deliberate examination of the causes of this tragedy and of the appropriate public policy responses."

Jepsen's office added that they are still investigating the claim, but were "aware of no facts or legal theory under which the State of Connecticut should be liable for causing the harms inflicted at Sandy Hill Elementary School."

"Nor does the claim letter filed in this case identify a valid basis to support a claim against the state and, by extension, its taxpayers," the statement said.

State police are still investigating a motive for the killings.

Copyright 2012 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow