Southington to hold violent video game return program - Cincinnati News, Weather, Sports from FOX19 NOW-WXIX

Southington to hold violent video game return program

SOUTHINGTON, CT (WFSB) -

A group of Southington community members is holding a violent video game return program in response to the massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown last month.

SouthingtonSOS said it will host the event on Jan. 12 at the Southington Drive-In on Meriden-Waterbury Turnpike from 9 a.m. until noon.

The town of Southington will have a trash bin there for the collection of the games, and anyone returning games will be offered a gift certificate donated by a member of the Southington Chamber of Commerce as a token of appreciation.

The Board of Education said it sent out information electronically about the event last week to Southington residents.

Members of SouthingtonSOS said the group's action is not intended to be construed as a statement declaring that violent video games were the cause of school shooting, but said "there is ample evidence that violent video games, along with violent media of all kinds, including TV and movies portraying story after story showing a continuous stream of violence and killing, has contributed to increasing aggressiveness, fear, anxiety and is desensitizing our children to acts of violence including bullying," according to a news release sent out by SouthingtonSOS.

SouthingtonSOS was started in response to the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown on Dec. 14.

Adam Lanza, 20, shot and killed his mother while she slept at her home before he went to Sandy Hook and killed 20 children and six adults.

He killed himself as police made their way into the building.

Copyright 2013 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

News Headlines

Related Content: Tragedy at Sandy Hook

Updated:

Images:  Remembering the Newtown shooting victimsSpecial Section: Newtown ShootingFunds set up to honor Newtown victims More>>

  • FOX19 HeadlinesMore>>

  • Administration seeks to expand immigrant family detention

    Administration seeks to expand immigrant family detention

    Saturday, June 23 2018 12:26 AM EDT2018-06-23 04:26:10 GMT
    Sunday, June 24 2018 12:44 AM EDT2018-06-24 04:44:13 GMT
    (AP Photo/Eric Gay, File). FILE - In this July 31, 2014, file photo, an artificial turf soccer field sits in the middle of the Karnes County Residential Center in Karnes City, Texas. The immigration detention facility has been retooled to house adults ...(AP Photo/Eric Gay, File). FILE - In this July 31, 2014, file photo, an artificial turf soccer field sits in the middle of the Karnes County Residential Center in Karnes City, Texas. The immigration detention facility has been retooled to house adults ...
    (AP Photo/Eric Gay, File). FILE - In this July 31, 2014, file photo, an artificial turf soccer field sits in the middle of the Karnes County Residential Center in Karnes City, Texas. The immigration detention facility has been retooled to house adults ...(AP Photo/Eric Gay, File). FILE - In this July 31, 2014, file photo, an artificial turf soccer field sits in the middle of the Karnes County Residential Center in Karnes City, Texas. The immigration detention facility has been retooled to house adults ...

    The Trump administration is calling for the expanded use of family detention for immigrant parents and children who are stopped along the U.S.-Mexico border.

    Full Story >

    The Trump administration is calling for the expanded use of family detention for immigrant parents and children who are stopped along the U.S.-Mexico border.

    Full Story >
  • US moves 100 coffins to N. Korean border for war remains

    US moves 100 coffins to N. Korean border for war remains

    Saturday, June 23 2018 5:16 AM EDT2018-06-23 09:16:27 GMT
    Sunday, June 24 2018 12:43 AM EDT2018-06-24 04:43:53 GMT
    (AP Photo/Ahn Young-joon, File). FILE- In this May 14, 1999, file photo, U.N. honor guards carry a coffin containing the remains of the American soldiers after it was returned from North Korea at the border village of Panmunjom, South Korea. South Kore...(AP Photo/Ahn Young-joon, File). FILE- In this May 14, 1999, file photo, U.N. honor guards carry a coffin containing the remains of the American soldiers after it was returned from North Korea at the border village of Panmunjom, South Korea. South Kore...

    The U.S. military says it is moving "assets" to a U.S. air base near South Korea's capital and to the inter-Korean border to prepare for North Korea's returning of the remains of U.S. soldiers who have been missing...

    Full Story >

    The U.S. military says it is moving "assets" to a U.S. air base near South Korea's capital and to the inter-Korean border to prepare for North Korea's returning of the remains of U.S. soldiers who have been missing since the 1950-53 Korean War.

    Full Story >
  • Zimbabwe leader calls assassination attempt 'cowardly act'

    Zimbabwe leader calls assassination attempt 'cowardly act'

    Saturday, June 23 2018 9:45 AM EDT2018-06-23 13:45:14 GMT
    Saturday, June 23 2018 11:37 PM EDT2018-06-24 03:37:01 GMT
    Zimbabwe state media report explosion at president's campaign rally; Mnangagwa not hurt. (Source: AP Photos)Zimbabwe state media report explosion at president's campaign rally; Mnangagwa not hurt. (Source: AP Photos)

    Zimbabwe state media report explosion at president's campaign rally; Mnangagwa not hurt.

    Full Story >

    Zimbabwe state media report explosion at president's campaign rally; Mnangagwa not hurt.

    Full Story >
Powered by Frankly