Glastonbury superintendent takes closer look at school security
By WFSB Staff
GLASTONBURY, CT (WFSB) -
The town of Glastonbury wasted no time working on plans to shore up its school security in the wake of Newtown.
Superintendent of Schools Dr. Alan Bookman told Eyewitness News that the sum total of the security improvements he believes are needed will cost a little over $1 million. But in light of what happened in our state last month, he said it's worth the price.
On Dec. 14, Adam Lanza, 20, shot and killed his mother as she slept in her bed. He then traveled the few miles to Sandy Hook Elementary School, where he proceeded to shoot out a security window, make his way into the building and kill 20 children and six adults.
Each of the schools in Glastonbury needs different security upgrades, according to its superintendent. In the end, they would all have roughly the same things for the 2013-2014 school year.
For starters the superintendent would like to augment security already in place at the middle, high, and Gideon Wells schools with guards at all the elementary schools, for another $280,000, along with a second shift to cover after school and weekend events, costing another $410,000.
Other suggested measures include inside classroom door locks at schools that don't have them for $60,000, swipe card entrances for all the schools for $135,000, and bulletproof glass in specific locations at a cost of $131 per square foot.
"I think it would be a waste of money," said Aldor Dubois of Glastonbury. "I think there are other solutions that could be more effective than that."
However, some residents supported the changes.
"In the wake of Sandy Hook, those are hard questions," said Lynne Thompson of Glastonbury.
The school budget for this current year has already been set, so the council would have to approve the superintendent's ideas, then find a way to come up with the funds.
Copyright 2013 WFSB(Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.