UNIVERSITY HEIGHTS, OH (FOX19) - The family of a University of Cincinnati student who was critically injured in a fire on Digby Street has issued a statement.
Ellen Garner, 20, and Chad Kohls, 21, remain hospitalized at University of Cincinnati Medical Center.
Garner's family issued the following statement through the hospital on Monday morning:
The family of Ellen Garner, the 20 year old UC student, who was critically injured in the January 1st house fire near the University of Cincinnati campus, wishes to thank President Santa Ono and the University of Cincinnati for their kind and generous support of our family during this stressful time as well as the medical staff at UC Medical Center.
Garner suffered from smoke inhalation due to the fire. The cause is believed to be a space heater that was too close to bedding.