(FOX19) - Funeral arrangements have been made for the victim in a University Heights house fire.
Chad Kohls, 21, of Centerville passed away on Monday from injuries he received during a fire on New Year's Day.
The visitation is scheduled for Friday from 4 to 7 p.m. at Fairhaven Church, located at 637 E. Whipp Road in Centerville. The service will follow immediately after, also at the church.
On New Year's Day around 6:50 a.m., police were called to a reported blaze in the 2800 block of Digby Street. Officials say the fire started in the second floor bedroom of a three multi-family floor home, caused by an electric space heater sitting to close to a bed.
Ellen Garner, 20 and Chad Kohls, 21, were sleeping on the third floor when the fire broke out and were trapped by the smoke. The pair suffered smoke inhalation and were taken to UC Medical Center (UCMC).
On Monday, Kohl's family released this statement following his death:
"At approximately 4:30 pm today our beautiful son, Chad, passed from this life to the next. Chad had a huge heart. He was a wonderful person who loved people loved us and we loved him very much in return. We appreciate all the prayers and support and ask that the media please honor our request for privacy at this time to allow us to grieve with our loved ones. Thank you."
Kohls was an '09 graduate of Centerville High School and a senior marketing major at the University of Cincinnati.
Authorities say Garner is still in critical condition at UCMC.
There were a total of seven people in the house at the time of the fire. Crews at the scene told our reporter that there were working smoke detectors in the home.