Fair board says Memphis group's $500K offer too late - Cincinnati News, Weather, Sports from FOX19 NOW-WXIX

Fair board says Memphis group's $500K offer too late

NASHVILLE, TN (WSMV) -

Despite an offer that was 10 times more than the company that operated the state fair last year,  the Metro Fair Board decided Tuesday not to allow a Memphis group to run this year's event.

The board voted to approve a contract with the Tennessee State Fair Association to conduct the fair for a third straight time.

The decision was made despite an offer from Memphis-based Universal Fairs, which said they were willing to pay 10 times what TSFA offered up front to run the fair.

Board members said the Memphis group's offer was made too late to be considered.

Universal Fairs was willing to offer $500,000 for rights to hold the fair, but TSFA had already agreed to the board's contract terms.

Fair board members said the state commission would've had to approve Universal Fairs' offer before the board could've even negotiated a potential contract.

Some fair supporters have said they were unhappy with the TSFA in terms of the entertainment they've provided and the attendance of the last three state fairs.

Copyright 2013 WSMV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

  • FOX19 HeadlinesMore>>

  • Immigrant kids seen held in fenced cages at border facility

    Immigrant kids seen held in fenced cages at border facility

    Monday, June 18 2018 9:00 AM EDT2018-06-18 13:00:17 GMT
    Tuesday, June 19 2018 1:04 AM EDT2018-06-19 05:04:20 GMT
    (U.S. Customs and Border Protection's Rio Grande Valley Sector via AP). In this photo provided by U.S. Customs and Border Protection, a U.S. Border Patrol agent watches as people who've been taken into custody related to cases of illegal entry into the...(U.S. Customs and Border Protection's Rio Grande Valley Sector via AP). In this photo provided by U.S. Customs and Border Protection, a U.S. Border Patrol agent watches as people who've been taken into custody related to cases of illegal entry into the...
    Hundreds of unaccompanied child immigrants arrested at the U.S. border are being held in metal cages at a family detention facility in McAllen, Texas.Full Story >
    Hundreds of unaccompanied child immigrants arrested at the U.S. border are being held in metal cages at a family detention facility in McAllen, Texas.Full Story >
  • Director: FBI won't repeat mistakes noted in watchdog report

    Director: FBI won't repeat mistakes noted in watchdog report

    Monday, June 18 2018 2:40 PM EDT2018-06-18 18:40:23 GMT
    Tuesday, June 19 2018 1:04 AM EDT2018-06-19 05:04:15 GMT
    (AP Photo/J. Scott Applewhite). Justice Department Inspector General Michael Horowitz, left, and FBI Director Christopher Wray wait to testify as the Senate Judiciary Committee examines the internal report of the FBI's Clinton email probe and the role ...(AP Photo/J. Scott Applewhite). Justice Department Inspector General Michael Horowitz, left, and FBI Director Christopher Wray wait to testify as the Senate Judiciary Committee examines the internal report of the FBI's Clinton email probe and the role ...
    The Republican chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee says the Justice Department has a "serious credibility problem.".Full Story >
    The Republican chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee says the Justice Department has a "serious credibility problem.".Full Story >
  • Pentagon suspends August military drills with South Korea

    Pentagon suspends August military drills with South Korea

    Monday, June 18 2018 6:41 PM EDT2018-06-18 22:41:35 GMT
    Tuesday, June 19 2018 1:04 AM EDT2018-06-19 05:04:02 GMT
    There have been no decisions made on any other military exercises with South Korea.There have been no decisions made on any other military exercises with South Korea.

    The Pentagon says it has formally suspended a major military exercise planned for August with South Korea, a much anticipated move stemming from President Donald Trump's nuclear summit with North Korean leader Kim...

    Full Story >

    The Pentagon says it has formally suspended a major military exercise planned for August with South Korea, a much anticipated move stemming from President Donald Trump's nuclear summit with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.

    Full Story >
Powered by Frankly