Doctor Ruddy Rose is on the front line, and when it comes to Molly he has seen it all.
"They are either too wild, too agitated or they have collapsed," he said. "We've seen quite a few young people brought into the emergency department, extremely agitated, failingly about and have had to be sedated and in some cases actually been put on life support with a breathing tube. There is absolutely, absolutely a risk of dying by taking a drug that you don't know what it is."
Rose runs VCU's Poison Control Center and has been there when Molly users react negatively to the drug. A drug they say is called Molly but could be anything.
"The common misconception is that Molly is a safer form of ecstasy," Dr. Rose told us.
In fact Molly can be just about anything. Because it is sold illegally, no one is testing it or regulating that what someone tells what you are getting is actually what it is.
"You really don't know what you are getting. If somebody sells you Molly it could be any one of a dozen different drugs," he said.
And because Molly is a term that encompasses a wide range of drugs it is also difficult to track its impact on a community. Students on many local college campuses and in local dance halls will anecdotally tell you its use is widespread. None were willing to talk to us on camera, but data from places like VCU don't indicate a serious problem.
But the drug or versions of it exist, and they are promoted and embraced by celebrities in music and movies. What those celebrities leave out is some of the debilitating side effects the drug brings with it. Like uncontrollable emotions, increased heart rate and even a bleeding episode in the brain.
Simply put Doctor Rose said the benefit of a short term high is not worth the risk.
"The problem is that people take advantage of that name and put something else in it or market something else and call it Molly and people really don't have any idea what they are taking," he said.
And not knowing what you are taking means you have no idea how you will react; an outcome that could lead to dangerous and even deadly consequences.
In 2012 VCU's Student Wellness Center recently conducted an anonymous survey of close to 1500 students. Only 15 responded that they had used Molly in the last 30 days; a response rate that is in line with national standards.
635 W. 7th Street