Woman gets the gift of life from her son - Cincinnati News, Weather, Sports from FOX19 NOW-WXIX

Woman gets the gift of life from her son

SCOTTSDALE, AZ (CBS5) -

Annette Jones was in her mid 20s at the beginning of her journey as a mom when she came to a big bump in the road.

"I found out that my kidneys were failing," Jones said.

The otherwise healthy woman's blood pressure spiked and doctors eventually discovered her kidneys were failing.  They're still not sure why.

"Disbelief because I felt fine and it took awhile for me to get to the point where I was very sick," Jones said.

But she got there, got on the donor list and got her first kidney.

"I was put on the waiting list with UNOS and believe it or not, 45 days later, I received a call," she said.

That was 23 years ago.  Since then, that first kidney failed.

"I had it about three years," Jones said.

So she went back on the donor list.

"I was on the list for almost six months and I received a call," she said.

That's when she got the call for kidney No. 2.

"I had my second transplant on Easter Sunday by a Jewish doctor," Jones said.

That kidney lasted almost 11 years, but eventually it gave out too.

"Mayo Clinic had told me, 'You need to consider a living donor because at this time you're going to be waiting three to five years for a kidney,'" Jones said.

Fortunately, she had a great friend who came forward to donate.

"That one lasted over seven years, about 7 1/2 years," she said.

Unfortunately, she needed a fourth kidney.  This time it would come from the one who had watched his mom go through surgeries and dialysis since he was just 1 year old.

"I grew up with it so it seemed normal, you know," her son, Michael Jones, said.

This time around, Michael Jones decided giving his mom a kidney was the least he could do.

"You have a parent that's done so much for you and sacrificed so much and has done every single thing they can think of possibly to benefit their kids and given up things in their life that they could have done to benefit their children, it's nothing," he said.

But his mom would tell you otherwise.

"I'm just thrilled to be here and so happy that I have been so fortunate," she said.

For more information on organ donation, visit the Donor Network of Arizona here or call 1-800-94-DONOR.

Copyright 2013 CBS 5 (KPHO Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.

Trump pulls back from brink of trade war with China

Monday, May 21 2018 1:11 AM EDT2018-05-21 05:11:48 GMT
    Monday, May 21 2018 1:02 PM EDT2018-05-21 17:02:18 GMT
    (AP Photo/Jae C. Hong, File). FILE - In this April 30, 2018, file photo, Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin speaks during a discussion at the Milken Institute Global Conference, in Beverly Hills, Calif. Mnuchin said Sunday, May 20, that the United State...(AP Photo/Jae C. Hong, File). FILE - In this April 30, 2018, file photo, Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin speaks during a discussion at the Milken Institute Global Conference, in Beverly Hills, Calif. Mnuchin said Sunday, May 20, that the United State...

After high-level talks, Beijing agreed in a joint statement with the U.S. to "substantially reduce" America's trade deficit with China but did not commit to cut the gap by any specific amount.

Texas school shooting survivors face a 'spiritual war zone'

Monday, May 21 2018 12:52 AM EDT2018-05-21 04:52:04 GMT
    Monday, May 21 2018 12:55 PM EDT2018-05-21 16:55:00 GMT
    (Elizabeth Conley/Houston Chronicle via AP). A billboard is seen off of I-45 near Santa Fe, Texas, where a student shot and killed eight classmates and two teachers at Santa Fe High School.(Elizabeth Conley/Houston Chronicle via AP). A billboard is seen off of I-45 near Santa Fe, Texas, where a student shot and killed eight classmates and two teachers at Santa Fe High School.

The shooting suspect, 17-year-old Dimitrios Pagourtzis, has been jailed on capital murder charges.

School shooting victims remembered as sweet, hardworking

Monday, May 21 2018 1:42 AM EDT2018-05-21 05:42:02 GMT
    Monday, May 21 2018 12:54 PM EDT2018-05-21 16:54:40 GMT
    (AP Photo/Fareed Khan). Abdul Aziz Sheikh, center, father of Sabika Sheikh, a victim of a shooting at a Texas high school, shows a picture of his daughter in Karachi, Pakistan, Saturday, May 19, 2018. The Pakistani foreign exchange student is among tho...(AP Photo/Fareed Khan). Abdul Aziz Sheikh, center, father of Sabika Sheikh, a victim of a shooting at a Texas high school, shows a picture of his daughter in Karachi, Pakistan, Saturday, May 19, 2018. The Pakistani foreign exchange student is among tho...
    An outgoing and 'really funny' student who blocked the door to try to prevent the gunman from entering the classroom and an exchange student who aspired to work in civil service were among the 10 people killed at a Texas high school.Full Story >