Scott Eaton accused of stealing school funds for personal use - Cincinnati News, Weather, Sports from FOX19 NOW-WXIX

NKU: Former AD accused of stealing $150K in school funds

Scott Eaton Scott Eaton
HIGHLAND HEIGHTS, KY (FOX19) -

Northern Kentucky University (NKU) officials revealed additional information regarding the termination of former athletic director, Scott Eaton.

Following an ongoing investigation, officials came across alleged financial misconduct by Eaton.

Officials say Eaton admitted to taking approximately $100,000-$150,000 from the university's athletic department for personal use. It reportedly took place over the last six to eight years.

"This was money that was designed to support our student athletes, our coaches, and everyone committed to the academic and athletic success of our athletes," said NKU President Geoffrey Mearns.

Eaton reportedly admitted financial misconduct to authorities. The school has contacted both the Kentucky Attorney General and the U.S. Attorney regarding the case.

School officials say they plan to pursue legal action to get the alleged mishandled funds back, plus damages.

Earlier in April, Mearns revealed that Eaton also admitted to having inappropriate, intimate relationships with four NKU employees, including two women he supervised. In addition, officials say he admitted to having an intimate relationship with a student in a class in which he was the instructor.

On Tuesday, Eaton's attorney released a statement on his behalf, which reads in part:

"Dr. Eaton's contributions to the University over the past 15 years have come at significant personal cost and sacrifice. As has been reported, Dr. Eaton was a 'workaholic' who went above and beyond in contributing his time and attention to the University and its mission."

It goes on to reveal that Eaton came forward with information and made himself available to speed up the process of the investigation, working cooperatively with NKU's lawyers. He says while he admitted to using NKU funds for personal purposes, the $100,000-$150,000 amount 'is the University's estimate only'.

"Dr. Eaton deeply regrets his mistakes and recognizes that his poor judgement has injured others, including the University as an institution... While no excuse, the fact remains that difficult circumstances can lead good people to make poor decisions."

Michael J. Cusack, former Wright State University director of athletics, was selected to serve as interim AD, effective April 15.

"This is a strong institution. The athletics program is very strong. This was a single isolated individual who engaged in a pattern of misconduct both financial and personal. We've now removed him from the university community and in no way do I think the University needs to rebuild. It's a strong athletic program, and it's going to get even stronger," said Mearns.

Eaton was fired on March 18 following a termination letter from Mearns.

Copyright 2013 WXIX. All rights reserved.

  • FOX19 HeadlinesMore>>

  • Gunman in Trader Joe's standoff was feuding with grandmother

    Gunman in Trader Joe's standoff was feuding with grandmother

    Sunday, July 22 2018 8:49 AM EDT2018-07-22 12:49:27 GMT
    Sunday, July 22 2018 10:12 PM EDT2018-07-23 02:12:03 GMT
    (AP Photo/Damian Dovarganes). Los Angeles Police SWAT officers escort a group of people who were held for their safety by police across businesses surrounding a Trader Joe's supermarket, after a gunman held dozens of people hostage inside the store bef...(AP Photo/Damian Dovarganes). Los Angeles Police SWAT officers escort a group of people who were held for their safety by police across businesses surrounding a Trader Joe's supermarket, after a gunman held dozens of people hostage inside the store bef...

    Police say they're trying to determine what prompted a man to shoot his grandmother and then run into a busy Los Angeles supermarket and hold dozens of people hostage for hours.

    Full Story >

    Police say they're trying to determine what prompted a man to shoot his grandmother and then run into a busy Los Angeles supermarket and hold dozens of people hostage for hours.

    Full Story >
  • Inspector warned duck boat company of design flaws last year

    Inspector warned duck boat company of design flaws last year

    Saturday, July 21 2018 6:13 PM EDT2018-07-21 22:13:06 GMT
    Sunday, July 22 2018 10:11 PM EDT2018-07-23 02:11:51 GMT
    (AP Photo/Charlie Riedel). People view a row of idled duck boats in the parking lot of Ride the Ducks Saturday, July 21, 2018 in Branson, Mo. One of the company's duck boats capsized Thursday night resulting in several deaths on Table Rock Lake.(AP Photo/Charlie Riedel). People view a row of idled duck boats in the parking lot of Ride the Ducks Saturday, July 21, 2018 in Branson, Mo. One of the company's duck boats capsized Thursday night resulting in several deaths on Table Rock Lake.

    Since 1999, duck boats have been linked to the deaths of more than 40 people, with a troubled safety record on the road and water alike.

    Full Story >

    Since 1999, duck boats have been linked to the deaths of more than 40 people, with a troubled safety record on the road and water alike.

    Full Story >
  • UK police think boy, 3, was attacked with acid at store

    UK police think boy, 3, was attacked with acid at store

    Sunday, July 22 2018 11:04 AM EDT2018-07-22 15:04:24 GMT
    Sunday, July 22 2018 10:11 PM EDT2018-07-23 02:11:20 GMT
    A general view of the Home Bargains store where a man is accused of an acid attack on a young boy, in Worcester, England, Sunday. British police say a 3-year-old boy suffered severe burns on his face and arm. (Matthew Cooper/PA via AP)A general view of the Home Bargains store where a man is accused of an acid attack on a young boy, in Worcester, England, Sunday. British police say a 3-year-old boy suffered severe burns on his face and arm. (Matthew Cooper/PA via AP)

    British police say a 3-year-old boy suffered severe burns on his face and arm during a suspected acid attack that investigators think was deliberate.

    Full Story >

    British police say a 3-year-old boy suffered severe burns on his face and arm during a suspected acid attack that investigators think was deliberate.

    Full Story >
Powered by Frankly