Spectators worldwide flying to Phoenix for Arias trial - Cincinnati News, FOX19-WXIX TV

Spectators worldwide flying to Phoenix for Arias trial

PHOENIX (CBS5) -

You wouldn't know the Jodi Arias trial is winding down by the number of spectators that keep flowing in. They've flown in from as far as Australia for the chance to sit inside the courtroom.

On Thursday, people were hanging out in lawn chairs listening to a live broadcast of the trial.

"I was like, I have to come down here and see it in person," said Megan Youtkus. "My mom makes fun of me because I know everything about it, it's just always on. When I wake up, it's on, doing my hair, it's on."

"I wanted to come down here just to see the people's reaction to the trial," said Angelito Gomez.

"I get email alerts to my email," said Candace Gutierrez.

One of the TV networks is broadcasting the closing arguments here at Cityscape. A couple of blocks away on the courthouse steps, another crowd grows.

"I'm from rural Alberta," said Carole Moon.

People from all over the globe are descending upon those steps, some setting up at the crack of dawn, for a chance to sit inside.

"It's so surreal, I mean I've just been running on adrenaline all day," Moon said. "I can't believe it, I know it's not a rock concert, but I can't believe I got in today, I won the lottery."

Moon beat out dozens of people to be one of 11 spectators. She said there were around 80 people lined up this morning hoping to get in, and there was even a detention officer nearby to keep an eye on the crowd.

And though the excitement isn't wearing off any time soon, even these folks admit the end to this trial is a long time coming.

"I can't wait for the verdict," Moon said.

On Friday, the defense team will present their closing argument.

Stay with cbs5az.com for updates in the case.

Copyright 2013 CBS 5 (KPHO Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.

• Whats on FOX19More>>

• SIDEBAR: Jodi Arias trial

Tuesday, January 13 2015 2:02 PM EST2015-01-13 19:02:59 GMT
    Monday, April 13 2015 3:28 PM EDT2015-04-13 19:28:00 GMT
    Jodi Ann Arias stands accused of shooting, stabbing and slitting the throat of her former boyfriend, Travis Alexander, in June 2008.Full Story >

Conservative theologians accuse pope of spreading heresy

Saturday, September 23 2017 5:57 PM EDT2017-09-23 21:57:05 GMT
    Saturday, September 23 2017 11:18 PM EDT2017-09-24 03:18:06 GMT
    Pope Francis waves during his general audience a the Vatican Sept. 20..Dozens of theologians, priests and academics accuse him of spreading heresy with his 2016 opening to divorced and civilly married Catholics. (L'Osservatore Romano/Pool Photo via AP)Pope Francis waves during his general audience a the Vatican Sept. 20..Dozens of theologians, priests and academics accuse him of spreading heresy with his 2016 opening to divorced and civilly married Catholics. (L'Osservatore Romano/Pool Photo via AP)

Several dozen tradition-minded Roman Catholic theologians, priests and academics have formally accused Pope Francis of spreading heresy with his 2016 opening to divorced and civilly remarried Catholics.

New earthquake, magnitude 6.1, shakes jittery Mexico

Saturday, September 23 2017 12:36 AM EDT2017-09-23 04:36:18 GMT
    Saturday, September 23 2017 11:17 PM EDT2017-09-24 03:17:59 GMT

In the stylish Condesa neighborhood young revelers typically spill out from dimly lit bars and restaurants on a Friday night. But the first weekend since the 7.1-magnitude earthquake toppled buildings just blocks away began on a somber note.

South Korea says natural North Korea earthquake detected

Saturday, September 23 2017 5:56 AM EDT2017-09-23 09:56:13 GMT
    Saturday, September 23 2017 11:17 PM EDT2017-09-24 03:17:32 GMT

South Korea's weather agency says a magnitude 3.0 earthquake was detected in North Korea around where the country recently conducted a nuclear test, but it assessed the quake as natural.