Clean up continues 24 hours after train derails in Norwood

Photo courtesy of Kayla Bolin
Photo courtesy of Kayla Bolin

NORWOOD, OH (FOX19) - Crews were still cleaning up a little more than 24 hours after a train derailed in Norwood Monday night, leaving thousands without power.

Officials say the train hit the tower, which fell on an old packaging building. 

At one point on Monday night, Duke Energy reported more than 19,000 power outages in Hamilton County. Power has since been restored.

"It appears that it was knocked completely off its foundation, and dragged partially down the tracks a bit.  So, it's completely unsecured which is why we've had to be very cautious and timely with our repair work out here today," said Sally Thelen, a spokesperson for Duke Energy.

The clean-up efforts have been non-stop since four rail cars derailed.

A spokesman for the operator's parent company, Genesee & Wyoming Railroad Services, told FOX19 that of the four cars, two were empty, one had lumber and he was unsure about the fourth car.

As far as clean-up costs for the railroad company, we were told in an email from Michael Williams, the company's communications director: "The railroad will pay for its equipment and cleanup; the rest will be determined as the priority right now is on getting the situation back to normal."

Duke Energy officials say it's not time to discuss how much their work will cost either.

"That's far down the road for us.  The task at hand is to get our infrastructure removed and come up with what the plan will be to repair the lines in this area," added Thelen.

The Indiana and Ohio Railway is the operator of the derailed train.  According to their website, they handle and ship metal products, chemicals, plastics and lumber, among other things.  In this accident, the train was carrying some chemicals.

"There are several cars back there that do have some chemicals in them, but they are not part of the derailment.  There's no leak.  Everything is safe," said Tom Williams of the Norwood Police Department.

Williams says the National Transportation Safety Board has been notified.

We have reached out to the NTSB who told us via email that at this point, they have no information that they are investigating, but will provide additional information soon.

We talked to a representative with the Federal Railroad Administration who told us they are investigating the cause of the derailment, and had regional personnel on scene on Tuesday.  However, the cause will come in a final report, which they say could be months from now.

Copyright 2013 WXIX. All rights reserved.