2nd suspect in Price Hill girl's shooting appears in court

Demarco White
Demarco White
Kenuel Collins
Kenuel Collins

EAST PRICE HILL, OH (FOX19) - Two people have been arrested following a Saturday night shoot-out in East Price Hill that put a 12-year-old girl in the hospital.

Police received reports of a shooting around 10 p.m. on Saturday in the 900 block of Grand Avenue near Warsaw. Authorities say that two men were shooting at each other when a stray bullet struck the girl, an innocent bystander, in the shoulder.

Roy Tomlin was sitting on the porch of his home on Grand Avenue when the incident occurred. He says that the two men, Demarco "Stacks" White and Kenuel Collins had been drinking all day and got into an argument.

"They were all just down here in the street arguing and the one guy had walked up to the other guy and stuck the gun basically right up to his leg and shot him right in the leg," said Tomlin.

White was shot in the leg during the altercation. After White was hit, Tomlin says the young girl had been shot while sitting in a van. Once she was shot, the girl got out of the van and ran to Tomlin.

"She said I got shot, I got shot. I picked her up, tried to put my hand over the bleeding a little bit," said Tomlin.

The girl was taken to University Hospital. Her condition is unknown at this time.

The shooting was witnessed by several people including Brittany Adkins who says she doesn't feel safe.

"This place is getting bad. The cops don't do what they're supposed to do. This neighborhood's just getting horrible," said Adkins.

Another East Price Hill resident, Geraldine Neal agreed that the neighborhood isn't safe.

"I don't feel safe up here, not at all and even though the police....they trying to do what they can do and I applaud them for that," said Neal.

Interim Cincinnati Police Chief Paul Humphries says he's fed up with the violence.

"This has got to stop. We got a 12 year-old girl who gets shot for minding her own business," said Chief Humphries. "Now the difference that we're having here today is that this community stepped up. We know who this is, we're going to have him in custody.  One of them is already in the hospital and we're going to have him in custody. We're actively looking for the other one."

White was taken to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries and is currently in police custody. Collins was on the run for two days before he was arrested.

Both have been charged with felonious assault.

White appeared in court on Monday and had his bond set at $400,000.

Collins was in court on Tuesday morning and also had his bond set at $400,000.

Copyright 2013 WXIX. All rights reserved.