North College Hill "boredom" beating victim Pat Mahaney dies - Cincinnati News, Weather, Sports from FOX19 NOW-WXIX

Determining cause of death for NCH beating victim could take weeks

Pat Mahaney after the attack Pat Mahaney after the attack
NORTH COLLEGE HILL, OH (FOX19) -

More testing will be done on the victim of a beating by six teenagers that occurred 11 months ago.

The Hamilton County Prosecutor's office confirms that 46-year-old Pat Mahaney died Friday morning, July 12.  The case was sent to the Hamilton County Coroner's Office, who says the autopsy has been completed. 

However, the coroner's office is awaiting further test results and investigative information before a cause of death is determined.

Mahaney was assaulted on Aug. 11, 2012 in North College Hill. Six teenagers were arrested in the case, ranging in ages 13 to 14. Police say the teens told them they were bored and looking for something to do.

Mahaney was released from the hospital within a couple of weeks after the attack.

Following Pat Mahaney's sudden death, Fox19's legal analyst Mike Allen says these teens could face a much harsher penalty.

"If the coroner comes back and says that his injuries are a result of that beating those kids will be charged with some type of homicide offense," said Allen.

Allen says filing additional charges in a case is rare, but it does happen.

"An individual died I think it was four or five years after the fact, and in that case, the Butler County prosecutor was able to go back and institute new charges," Allen explained.

Two of the teenagers have already been sentenced to probation and community service. Three other teens have pleaded guilty to assault and await sentencing while one other is currently fighting the charges.

Pat's brother, Jeff Mahaney, is hopeful justice will be served in the legal system.

"They did contribute to his death, but I hope the judge keeps them in jail until they're 21 anyway and I hope they can learn something from this," said Jeff.

Copyright 2013 WXIX. All rights reserved.

  • FOX19 HeadlinesMore>>

  • Toll from Greek seaside resort wildfire rises to 94

    Toll from Greek seaside resort wildfire rises to 94

    Saturday, August 11 2018 9:24 AM EDT2018-08-11 13:24:08 GMT
    Saturday, August 11 2018 10:30 AM EDT2018-08-11 14:30:54 GMT
    (AP Photo/Thanassis Stavrakis, FILE). FILE - In this file photo dated Tuesday, July 24, 2018, burned cars are seen outside a damaged house in Rafina, east of Athens, after wildfires raged through the holiday resorts near Greece's capital.  The prime mi...(AP Photo/Thanassis Stavrakis, FILE). FILE - In this file photo dated Tuesday, July 24, 2018, burned cars are seen outside a damaged house in Rafina, east of Athens, after wildfires raged through the holiday resorts near Greece's capital. The prime mi...

    The death toll from the July 23 fire at the seaside resort of Mati, near Athens, has risen to 94 after a 57-year-old woman in intensive care died of her injuries, the ministry of health announced.

    Full Story >

    The death toll from the July 23 fire at the seaside resort of Mati, near Athens, has risen to 94 after a 57-year-old woman in intensive care died of her injuries, the ministry of health announced.

    Full Story >
  • Activists rally against hate on Charlottesville anniversary

    Activists rally against hate on Charlottesville anniversary

    Saturday, August 11 2018 12:44 AM EDT2018-08-11 04:44:22 GMT
    Saturday, August 11 2018 10:30 AM EDT2018-08-11 14:30:34 GMT
    (AP Photo/Steve Helber). Susan Bro, mother of Heather Heyer who was killed during last year's Unite the Right rally, speaks with reporters at the spot where her daughter was killed in Charlottesville, Va., Friday, Aug. 10, 2018. The governor has declar...(AP Photo/Steve Helber). Susan Bro, mother of Heather Heyer who was killed during last year's Unite the Right rally, speaks with reporters at the spot where her daughter was killed in Charlottesville, Va., Friday, Aug. 10, 2018. The governor has declar...

    Police are blocking off streets and mobilizing hundreds of officers for the anniversary of a deadly white nationalist rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, alarming activists who plan to rally against the hatred that...

    Full Story >

    Police are blocking off streets and mobilizing hundreds of officers for the anniversary of a deadly white nationalist rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, alarming activists who plan to rally against the hatred that shocked the nation.

    Full Story >
  • Jury awards $289M to man who blames Roundup for cancer

    Jury awards $289M to man who blames Roundup for cancer

    Saturday, August 11 2018 2:10 AM EDT2018-08-11 06:10:04 GMT
    Saturday, August 11 2018 10:30 AM EDT2018-08-11 14:30:23 GMT
    (Josh Edelson/Pool Photo via AP, File). FILE - In this July, 9, 2018, file photo, plaintiff DeWayne Johnson looks up during a brief break as the Monsanto trial in San Francisco. Monsanto is being accused of hiding the dangers of its popular Roundup pro...(Josh Edelson/Pool Photo via AP, File). FILE - In this July, 9, 2018, file photo, plaintiff DeWayne Johnson looks up during a brief break as the Monsanto trial in San Francisco. Monsanto is being accused of hiding the dangers of its popular Roundup pro...

    Lawyers say a jury's $289 million award to a California man who claims Monsanto's Roundup weed killer gave him cancer may open the floodgates for legions of people suffering because of the agribusiness giant.

    Full Story >

    Lawyers say a jury's $289 million award to a California man who claims Monsanto's Roundup weed killer gave him cancer may open the floodgates for legions of people suffering because of the agribusiness giant.

    Full Story >
Powered by Frankly