CINCINNATI, OH (FOX19) - Every year, millions of smartphones are stolen, tampered with and resold around the world. In Cincinnati between January and June 30, 2013, 13% of all thefts in the City of Cincinnati resulted in cellular phones being taken.
Since smartphone thieves are becoming more violent and blatant in their attacks, the Cincinnati Police Department recommends the following steps to protect you and your property:
• Don't leave device unattended
• Be aware of your surroundings when using your device
• Don't allow strangers to use your device
• Set device passwords
• Download a security and locator application
If you become a victim:
• Give up your property
• Get a good suspect description
• Call 911
• Make a report
• Contact your carrier
• Activate GPS/Location Apps, but do not attempt to recover your phone
If device location is discovered police will ensure a report is made and determine appropriate recovery efforts.