(FOX19) - The improved Mall Road in Florence is continuing to see big changes.
In the last two years, Mall Road has been repaved with new sidewalks, curbs and landscaping.
Now, Kroger is planning a new Marketplace store in Florence Square on Mall Road at a site previously occupied by a movie theater. The company has submitted a site plan to the Boone County Planning Commission for the 123,678-square-foot store that would include a fuel center, a drive thru pharmacy and 485 new parking spaces.
The businesses in the corridor generate more than $30 million a year, according to the governor's office.
Florence Mayor Diane Whalen says the Kroger development is the type of project that was envisioned with the $13 million state-funded reconstruction of Mall Road.
Kroger is not saying how much the project will cost or how many people might be employed.
On top of all of that, Smokey Bones and Olive Garden on Mall Road in Florence are getting a new neighbor, BJ's Restaurant and Brewhouse.
Construction is expected to be completed this summer.
The City of Florence has provided a few facts about Mall Road:
- Mall Road was built in the 1970's by the City of Florence.
- Mall Road was built to the vehicular dependent standard that existed in the 1970's.
- KYTC assumed ownership in 1993.
- Mall Road/Houston Road is the largest retail district in the state with over 4 million square feet of retail space.
- Mall Road has only regional mall in Northern Kentucky.
- 11.8 million vehicles travel Mall Road annually.
- Mall Road businesses employ 3,400 people.
- In 2005, consumers spent $1.5 billion shopping in Boone County generating $89.4 million in state sales tax – more than any other N. KY county.
- Also in 2005, from only 122 of 236 businesses on Mall Road, State received more than $15 million in sales tax.
- Estimated state sales tax figures for all Mall Road businesses total $30 million annually.
- The Florence retail district contains 4 million square feet of retail space which translates into $1,064,000,000.00 in retail sales or $63,840,000.00 in Kentucky sales tax.