Bakery faces discrimination investigation over gay wedding cake - Cincinnati News, Weather, Sports from FOX19 NOW-WXIX

Bakery owner: 'Not anything against homosexuals, it has to do with our lives'

GRESHAM, OR (KPTV) -

A wedding cake, or lack of one, for a same-sex couple is at the center of a state discrimination investigation.

The Portland-area couple filed an anti-discrimination complaint with the Oregon Bureau of Labor and Industries against Sweet Cakes by Melissa in Gresham.

The complaint, filed by Rachel Cryer and received by the bureau Aug. 8, contends she was refused service based on sexual orientation.

The bakery's decision made national headlines in January when an initial complaint was filed with the Oregon Department of Justice by Laurel Bowman against the business.

The initial complaint alleged one of the owners of Sweet Cakes, after learning the customers wanted a cake for a same-sex wedding, said they were "abominations unto the Lord" and Bowman's fiancee was "reduced to tears."

In February, Aaron Klein denied making those statements. However, he did admit turning down the couple's business for religious reasons.

"I stopped what I was doing, I looked at them and said, 'I'm sorry I may have wasted your time, we don't do same-sex marriages,'" he told FOX 12 in February.

The new Bureau of Labor and Industries complaint states that Klein asked for the names of the bride and groom and was told, "There are two brides and our names are Rachel and Laurel."

"Respondent then told me that they do not provide their services for same-sex weddings" citing religious beliefs, according to the complaint.

While Oregon law prohibits discrimination based on sexual orientation, Klein believes the U.S. Constitution protects him. He said business picked up after the story went viral, but also stressed his decision wasn't about publicity.

"I'm free to exercise my religion however I see fit. I should not be compelled to violate my conscience," he said earlier this year. "If I'm told I have to make a wedding cake for a same-sex marriage, I feel that I'm violating my beliefs. I don't think I should have to do that."

The Bureau of Labor and Industries will now decide if the bakery violated the Oregon Equality Act of 2007.

A BOLI release states, "Oregonians cannot be denied service based on sexual orientation. The law provides an exemption for religious organizations and schools, but does not allow private business owners to discriminate based on sexual orientation, just as they cannot legally deny service based on race, sex, age, veteran status, disability or religion."

When reached on Wednesday, Melissa Klein said she stands by her family's religious beliefs.

"The one thing I would like to try to get across or maybe for people to understand is that it's not anything against homosexuals, it has to do with our lives and our lifestyle and our walk with Christ," said Melissa Klein. "I feel, just like they should be able to live their life the way they want to, I should also be able to live the way I want to."

BOLI investigations are required to conclude within a year. If investigators find substantial evidence, the bureau may bring formal charges against Sweet Cakes by Melissa. Those involved could also reach a settlement through conciliation, according to the bureau.

Melissa Klein said she is in contact with a lawyer, but does not know how the investigation will play out.

"Honestly, the way that I think and feel is that it's not in my hands, it's in God's hands," she said. "It's not in my control, so whatever is going to be is going to be."

"We are committed to a fair, through investigation," said Labor Commissioner Brad Avakian.

The couple filing the complaint ended up getting a wedding cake from another local bakery, Pastrygirl. Food Network star Duff Goldman also offered to bake and transport a cake to Portland for them, which the couple accepted in February, according to a statement released by their attorney at the time.

That attorney declined to comment on the case Wednesday.

Copyright 2013 KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved.

APNewsBreak: Youngest migrants held in 'tender age' shelters

Tuesday, June 19 2018 9:12 PM EDT2018-06-20 01:12:25 GMT
    Wednesday, June 20 2018 11:06 AM EDT2018-06-20 15:06:35 GMT
    Nicole Hernandez, of the Mexican state of Guerrero, holds on to her mother as they wait with other families to request political asylum in the United States, across the border in Tijuana, Mexico, on Wednesday, June 13, 2018. (AP Photo/Gregory Bull)Nicole Hernandez, of the Mexican state of Guerrero, holds on to her mother as they wait with other families to request political asylum in the United States, across the border in Tijuana, Mexico, on Wednesday, June 13, 2018. (AP Photo/Gregory Bull)

Migrant babies and young children are being held in special "tender age" shelters after being taken from their parents at the US-Mexico border.

No clear plan yet on how to reunite parents with children

Wednesday, June 20 2018 2:31 AM EDT2018-06-20 06:31:19 GMT
    Wednesday, June 20 2018 11:06 AM EDT2018-06-20 15:06:08 GMT
    (AP Photo/Eric Gay). A boy stares out of a heavily tinted bus window leaving a U.S. Customs and Border Protection facility, Tuesday, June 19, 2018, in McAllen, Texas. More than 2,300 minors have been separated from their families crossing the border to...(AP Photo/Eric Gay). A boy stares out of a heavily tinted bus window leaving a U.S. Customs and Border Protection facility, Tuesday, June 19, 2018, in McAllen, Texas. More than 2,300 minors have been separated from their families crossing the border to...
    Trump administration officials have no clear plan on how to reunite some of the 2,300 minors separated from their families at the border as a result of a zero-tolerance policy of criminally prosecuting anyone caught entering the U.S. illegally.Full Story >

Lewandowski on girl with Down syndrome: 'Wah wah'

Tuesday, June 19 2018 11:35 PM EDT2018-06-20 03:35:12 GMT
    Wednesday, June 20 2018 11:05 AM EDT2018-06-20 15:05:35 GMT
    Corey Lewandowski, a former campaign manager for President Donald Trump, created a stir by dismissing a story about a girl with Down syndrome. (AP Photo/Mark Lennihan)Corey Lewandowski, a former campaign manager for President Donald Trump, created a stir by dismissing a story about a girl with Down syndrome. (AP Photo/Mark Lennihan)

A former campaign manager for Donald Trump has created a stir by dismissing a story about a girl with Down syndrome with a sarcastic "Wah wah."