Museum worker, chimney struck by lightning

NORTHERN KENTUCKY (FOX19) - Lightning struck several places in the Tri-State on Wednesday, including a staff member at the Creation Museum, dry wall at a Ft. Mitchell home and the chimney at another.

First responders were called to the Boone County, Kentucky museum on Bullittsburg Church Road around 1:00 p.m.  A worker on the zip line was standing on the ground, holding a line, when lightning suddenly struck.

An official says the electricity jumped to the line, shocking the staffer. The man was taken to a Florence, Kentucky hospital to be checked out. Museum officials say his injuries are not believed to be serious.

"This one just came quickly. We were in the process of responding to the bad weather, but it just got here a lot faster than we were able to respond to," explained Mike Zovath, co-founder and vice president of the museum.

Officials say the attraction was closed to visitors on Wednesday afternoon because of some pop up storms that appeared.

Lightning damaged the second floor of a home in Ft. Mitchell blowing dry wall off the wall. The homeowner, Matt Nestheide, was inside with his daughter when the bolt struck.

"I could obviously here it raining and thunder but it was right outside my window and it was loud," said Nestheide.

Less than a mile away on Longmeadow Lane, lightning took off the chimney leaving bricks scattered in the yard.

Copyright 2013 WXIX. All rights reserved.