2 treated for carbon monoxide poisoning after off-roading trip

(FOX19) - Two people are being treated for carbon monoxide poisoning after an off-roading trip in Ripley County.

Police were called to a residence in the 300 block of West County Road on Saturday advising that there had been a possible carbon monoxide poisoning while off-roading in a jeep.

Police responded to find a jeep, driven by 36-year-old David Mullikin, partially submerged in a pond with the exhaust under water. Authorities say that the exhaust was only permitted to rise into the passenger compartment which had all of the windows rolled up.

The jeep contained five passengers, two of which were juveniles.

Two of the occupants were transported to Margaret Mary Hospital with three others refusing care. The transferred occupants' condition is unknown at this time.

Mullikin told police that they had been riding trails most of the day and had been driving in and out of the pond.

Police are investigating the incident.  Police did not find alcohol or any other illegal behavior at the scene.

Copyright 2013 WXIX. All rights reserved.