With apples being plentiful, fresh and inexpensive this season, it is great to make a longtime "festival" and "fair" favorite at home for just pennies a serving!
1/2C brown sugar ( light or dark)
4 tsp. butter
4 apples: peeled and cored
2 Tbsp. raisins
1 container: Refrigerated Pie Dough (Pre-made dough makes this quicker )
1. Preheat oven to 350 deg.
2. Peel and core apples.
3. Put a few raisin, brown sugar and dabs of butter in the core holes.
4. Roll the apple in brown sugar and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar.
5. Divide pie dough into 4 equal portions and roll out in a large flat circle. (This should be enough to cover the apple)
6. Bring sides of the dough up around each apple and make a small package with the dough.
7. Roll the apple again in the brown sugar and sprinkle with cinnamon and nutmeg.
8. Bake 20-40 minutes. Check often. They are cooked when they are golden brown and the apples are tender.
The size of the apples and the heat of the oven will vary enough to extend the baking time.
9. Cool for 3-5 minutes and serve.
Makes 4 servings
Top the apple dumplings with: caramel sauce/ whipped cream / vanilla ice cream