Stamford house explosion remains under investigation - Cincinnati News, Weather, Sports from FOX19 NOW-WXIX

Stamford house explosion remains under investigation

Photo credit: WFSB viewer, Colin Maclennan (Twitter) Photo credit: WFSB viewer, Colin Maclennan (Twitter)

Officials in Stamford continued to investigate what caused a massive house explosion in the city on Tuesday afternoon.

The million-dollar home was obliterated in the explosion, which was felt as far as two miles away.

"It was an explosion. It wasn't like a transformer. It wasn't like lightning or thunder," Elaine Sansone, who lives across from the home that exploded, said. "It shook the core of the house, so the windows all rattled. Things fell, the curtain rod, a couple of things off the wall."

In an instant, the Webbs Hill Road home was destroyed, and some neighboring homes were damaged from the debris.

The police chief described the chaotic incident as "a scene out of hell."

Miraculously, the homeowner was standing a few hundred feet away by the pool house, and officials said that may have saved the man's life.

"There's absolutely nothing left," Stamford Mayor Michael A. Pavia said.

The unidentified homeowner was conscious and alert when he was rushed to Stamford Hospital, and officials said he had no visible injuries as a result of the explosion.

Smoke billowed from the crater left at the scene hours after the blast, and that led officials to believe a 500-gallon underground propane tank may be to blame.

"The leading theory is that it's related to a combustible gas," Pavia said.

No work was being done to the home at the time of the explosion.

"(It's) unlike anything I've ever heard before here, and the house shook, literally shook. Windows shook, everything rattled and then everything of course was quiet, and of course the first thing you think is something blew up in your own home," Sansone said.

Webbs Hill Road was closed after the explosion so crews could extinguish the fire and investigate the scene, but it has since been reopened to traffic.

The incident remains under investigation.

Copyright 2013 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly