Update: House votes to restore benefits to fallen soldi - Cincinnati News, Weather, Sports from FOX19 NOW-WXIX

Update: House votes to restore benefits to fallen soldiers’ families

(WTVM) -

According to Congressman Tom Graves (R-GA-14), the US House of Representatives has voted to approve H.J.Res. 91, the Honoring the Families of Fallen Soldiers Act. The bill clarifies that the Obama Administration does have funding for military death benefits.

The resolution was passed in a 425 to 0 vote, according to Congressman Sanford Bishop.

Graves says the House passed the Pay Our Military Act (H.R. 3210) on September 29, 2013, and the act was signed into law by President Obama the next day. This law was intended to ensure that military payments would continue in the event of a partial government shutdown.

If passed into law, H.J.Res. 91 will reinforce the existing law, making it abundantly clear to the Administration that military death benefits are funded.

"I thank all the men and women in uniform, and their families, for their service and many sacrifices," says Graves. "We have a sacred obligation to care for the families of the soldiers who gave all, and I hope the Senate will pass this bill and the president will sign it into law as quickly as possible."

President Obama is calling for swift action on the issue, and says he expects the problem to be resolved today, according to CNN.

Fisher House offers advance grant to families of soldiers killed during shutdown

A letter from Sen. Joe Manchin (D-WV) says Fisher House Foundation, a group that offers assistance to families of troops in need, has offered an advance grant to families of soldiers killed in combat during the government shutdown, according to CNN.

A spokeswoman for Fisher House told CNN the group would work out a repayment plan with the families once the government begins to reimburse the death benefits.

Families of soldiers killed combat not receiving death benefits during government shutdown

After four soldiers have died in combat this weekend, including two Fort Benning Rangers, the continued government shutdown is creating an even harsher reality for the families of the deceased.

Congressman Sanford Bishop (Ga-D) confirmed that the families of soldiers killed in combat are not currently receiving the usual benefits they would receive, due to the government shutdown.

According to the National Military Family Association website, family members of soldiers who die in combat are supposed to receive a $100,000 death gratuity benefit within 36 hours of their soldier's death. This money is intended to cover immediate family expenses and funeral-related costs not covered by the government.    

There is currently no process in place to pay this death gratuity during the government shutdown.

The funeral benefits typically provided by the government for active-duty deaths will not be paid during a shutdown either, according to the same website.

Bishop, the ranking Democrat on the House Appropriations Subcommittee on Military Construction, Veterans Affairs, and Related Agencies, says he has co-sponsored a bill to reinstate the funds even if the shutdown continues. The bill will take at least a few days to reach the President's desk, provided it is first agreed upon, and passed by the House and the Senate.  

Meanwhile, other organizations are working to help these families while the funds are not coming through. So far, the Ranger S5 shop has raised several thousand dollars with an online fundraiser on their website. Jason Cluxton from the Ranger S5 Shop says all of the money they received from this effort goes to the Special Operations Warrior Foundation, designated for the families of soldiers who die during the shutdown.

To find out how to contact your US Government officials, click this link, or find the "Government officials for the Chattahoochee Valley area" link under the Quick Links tab on our website.

Copyright 2013 WTVM. All rights reserved.

  • FOX19 HeadlinesMore>>

  • Doctor who treated Prince pays $30K for illegal prescription

    Doctor who treated Prince pays $30K for illegal prescription

    Thursday, April 19 2018 12:42 AM EDT2018-04-19 04:42:26 GMT
    Thursday, April 19 2018 11:58 AM EDT2018-04-19 15:58:40 GMT
    (AP Photo/Chris O'Meara, File). FILE - In this Feb. 4, 2007 file photo, Prince performs during halftime of the Super Bowl XLI football game in Miami. Minnesota prosecutors are planning an announcement Thursday, April 19, 2018, in their two-year investi...(AP Photo/Chris O'Meara, File). FILE - In this Feb. 4, 2007 file photo, Prince performs during halftime of the Super Bowl XLI football game in Miami. Minnesota prosecutors are planning an announcement Thursday, April 19, 2018, in their two-year investi...

    A two-year probe into the overdose death of music superstar Prince is reaching a critical stage as a county prosecutor reveals whether criminal charges will be filed.

    Full Story >

    A two-year probe into the overdose death of music superstar Prince is reaching a critical stage as a county prosecutor reveals whether criminal charges will be filed.

    Full Story >
  • Trump leaves open possibility of bailing on meeting with Kim

    Trump leaves open possibility of bailing on meeting with Kim

    Thursday, April 19 2018 12:52 AM EDT2018-04-19 04:52:34 GMT
    Thursday, April 19 2018 11:58 AM EDT2018-04-19 15:58:38 GMT
    (AP Photo/Pablo Martinez Monsivais). President Donald Trump speaks to members of the media during a working lunch with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, at Trump's private Mar-a-Lago club, Wednesday, April 18, 2018, in Palm Beach, Fla.(AP Photo/Pablo Martinez Monsivais). President Donald Trump speaks to members of the media during a working lunch with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, at Trump's private Mar-a-Lago club, Wednesday, April 18, 2018, in Palm Beach, Fla.

    "If I think that if it's a meeting that is not going to be fruitful we're not going to go. If the meeting when I'm there is not fruitful I will respectfully leave the meeting," Trump told a news conference.

    Full Story >

    "If I think that if it's a meeting that is not going to be fruitful we're not going to go. If the meeting when I'm there is not fruitful I will respectfully leave the meeting," Trump told a news conference.

    Full Story >
  • California reaches deal on National Guard border mission

    California reaches deal on National Guard border mission

    Thursday, April 19 2018 3:01 AM EDT2018-04-19 07:01:58 GMT
    Thursday, April 19 2018 11:58 AM EDT2018-04-19 15:58:20 GMT
    (AP Photo/Denis Poroy, File). FILE - In this June 21, 2006 file photo, members of the California National Guard work next to the U.S.-Mexico border fence near the San Ysidro Port of Entry in San Diego. President Donald Trump slammed California Gov. Jer...(AP Photo/Denis Poroy, File). FILE - In this June 21, 2006 file photo, members of the California National Guard work next to the U.S.-Mexico border fence near the San Ysidro Port of Entry in San Diego. President Donald Trump slammed California Gov. Jer...

    Gov. Jerry Brown says he has reached agreement with the Trump administration to deploy up to 400 California National Guard troops to the border and elsewhere.

    Full Story >

    Gov. Jerry Brown says he has reached agreement with the Trump administration to deploy up to 400 California National Guard troops to the border and elsewhere.

    Full Story >
Powered by Frankly