CINCINNATI, OH (FOX19) - Bow ties are all the rage for the young men this homecoming season. Many young guys are turning to the pre-tied version because bow tying seems to be a lost art.
Something you might not know about FOX19 Meteorologist Jeff Creighton is that he has a history in men's fashion. His grandfather owned a clothing store in Carrolton, MO called Dickson Brothers Clothing. After high school, Jeff spent some time working at high-end men's clothing store Roderick St. John's in Kenwood.
Jeff says the first thing to remember is tying a bow tie is just like tying a shoe but around your neck.
- Start with it around your neck with the side of the hand you write with slightly longer.
- Then you take that side over, under and through. Both ends of the tie should be stacked on top of each other at this point.
- Now tighten that around your neck. The sides should be pretty much even.
- Take the underneath piece and fold it side ways. This is when the bow tie shape starts to come into focus.
- The part on top should be wrapped around and poked through the backside, just like tying a shoe.
- Now wench that through and straighten.
- You've got it!