West Union mayor blasted for anti-gay posts - Cincinnati News, FOX19-WXIX TV

West Union mayor blasted for anti-gay posts

Linda Oliver is the mayor of West Union. (Oct. 16, 2013/FOX Carolina) Linda Oliver is the mayor of West Union. (Oct. 16, 2013/FOX Carolina)
Linda Oliver talks with FOX Carolina about her comments on Facebook. (Oct. 16, 2013/FOX Carolina) Linda Oliver talks with FOX Carolina about her comments on Facebook. (Oct. 16, 2013/FOX Carolina)
WEST UNION, SC (FOX Carolina) -

When you hit Hwy 11 into Oconee County, you probably rolled through the small town of West Union, SC and didn't know it.

Nearly 300 people live in the town and it's run by Linda Oliver, who was elected as mayor.

"I don't want it rammed down my throat," Oliver said.

She's talking about a same-sex marriage. Recently, the register of deeds in Buncombe County, NC allowed 11 same sex couples to apply for marriage licenses and she disagrees with it.

"All I can say is if people want to crucify me that's fine. I know that following Jesus, I'm going to be crucified," Oliver said.

So, she went to her Facebook page and said she posted the Q-word. Many say in the context it was used, it's a word considered offensive to the gay community.

"And I got lambasted because I quoted the bible and stuff like that on Facebook and that's the way I feel," Oliver said.

Those who saw the post blasted her words and tagged them as slurs and bigotry. One comment stated:

"She deleted her original comments because she has no backbone."

"I have apologized, it's on there if people would just read the feed," Oliver said. "They're focusing on the word and I apologized for that. If people would read the whole thing they'll see that I plainly said I will not say that anymore, I'll say homosexual."

Now, there's a Facebook page created to oust Oliver and she said her feelings are hurt too.

"What I'm emotional about is because my feelings- the way I feel toward homosexuals is how I've been brought up," Oliver said.

Oliver used the Q-word several times in her posts, but said she didn't mean harm and it's a word she heard growing up.

Copyright 2013 FOX Carolina (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved

Grand jury indicts Missouri governor who admitted affair

Thursday, February 22 2018 5:35 PM EST2018-02-22 22:35:21 GMT
    Thursday, February 22 2018 11:57 PM EST2018-02-23 04:57:26 GMT
    A St. Louis grand jury indicted Missouri Gov. Eric Greitens on a felony invasion of privacy charge related to the Republican's affair with a woman in 2015. (AP Photo/Jeff Roberson, File)A St. Louis grand jury indicted Missouri Gov. Eric Greitens on a felony invasion of privacy charge related to the Republican's affair with a woman in 2015. (AP Photo/Jeff Roberson, File)

A St. Louis grand jury has indicted Missouri Gov. Eric Greitens on a felony invasion of privacy charge related to the Republican's affair with a woman in 2015.

US women beat Canada for gold in a 3-2 shootout thriller

Thursday, February 22 2018 2:34 AM EST2018-02-22 07:34:20 GMT
    Thursday, February 22 2018 11:56 PM EST2018-02-23 04:56:41 GMT
    (AP Photo/Matt Slocum). United States celebrates winning gold after the women's gold medal hockey game against Canada at the 2018 Winter Olympics in Gangneung, South Korea, Thursday, Feb. 22, 2018.(AP Photo/Matt Slocum). United States celebrates winning gold after the women's gold medal hockey game against Canada at the 2018 Winter Olympics in Gangneung, South Korea, Thursday, Feb. 22, 2018.

Twenty long years after taking gold when the sport debuted in 1998, the United States snapped Canada's streak of four straight Olympic golds with a 3-2 shootout victory.

The Latest: Dismal showing for US female figure skaters

Thursday, February 22 2018 8:44 PM EST2018-02-23 01:44:26 GMT
    Thursday, February 22 2018 11:56 PM EST2018-02-23 04:56:31 GMT
    (AP Photo/Bernat Armangue). Alina Zagitova of the Olympic Athletes of Russia performs during the women's short program figure skating in the Gangneung Ice Arena at the 2018 Winter Olympics in Gangneung, South Korea, Wednesday, Feb. 21, 2018.(AP Photo/Bernat Armangue). Alina Zagitova of the Olympic Athletes of Russia performs during the women's short program figure skating in the Gangneung Ice Arena at the 2018 Winter Olympics in Gangneung, South Korea, Wednesday, Feb. 21, 2018.

The Russians have a good shot at winning their first gold medal of the Pyeongchang Olympics when teenage figure skaters Alina Zagitova and Evgenia Medvedeva take the ice for the women's free skate.