(FOX19) - Margie Potts invites you to join her at Main Bite in MainStrasse Covington for a piping hot bowl of Pumpkin Black Bean Soup and some of her new winter appetizers, salads, and small plates!
Margie Potts' Pumpkin Black Bean Soup recipe:
- 2 Tab. Olive Oil EVOO
- 2 Cups Onion, chopped
- 1 Large stalks of celery, chopped
- 1 Bell Pepper, chopped
- 1 Cup Carrots, chopped
- 3-4 cloves Garlic, minced
- Four 15 oz.Cans Black Beans, drained, divided in half*
- One 14 oz. Can of Diced Tomatoes with Chiles
- (chiles can be mild or hot, depending on heat desired)
- 1 Tab. Ground Cumin
- 2 Tsp. Ground Coriander
- 1 Tsp. Kosher Salt or to taste
- ½ Tsp. Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- ¼ Tsp. Cayenne Pepper or to taste
- 1 Tsp. Each of Dried, crushed Oregano and Sweet Basil
- 16 oz. Broth or stock: chicken or vegetable
- ½ Cup Pumpkin Puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- ½ Tsp. Ground Nutmeg
Garnishes: Sour Cream, Sliced Green Onions, Shredded Cheese, Chopped Cilantro, Sliced Hot Chiles.
- Heat oil in heavy large soup pot and sauté onion, celery, pepper, and carrot until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add garlic and sauté one minute more.
- Take from heat and add can of tomatoes with chiles, cumin, coriander, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, oregano and basil.
- In batches, in blender, puree half of drained black beans with the onion/tomato mixture above.
- Add some of the broth if needed to puree mixture. Pour the pureed mixture back into the Dutch oven or saucepan and stir in the pumpkin and nutmeg.
- Add the remaining black beans and the remaining broth.
- You can add an additional 15 oz. can of black beans, rinsed and drained, if you want more texture to the soup.
- Bring soup to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 30-40 minutes. This is the type of soup that tastes even better the next day.
- Serve in bowls topped with sour cream, salsa, sliced green onion and shredded cheese or chopped cilantro if you desire.
Serve in bowls topped with sour cream, salsa, sliced green onion and shredded cheese or chopped cilantro if you desire.