CINCINNATI, OH (FOX19) - Where will federal dollars go if the Streetcar Project is scrapped? That's just one of the major questions looming if Mayor-elect John Cranley is successful in derailing the project.
Current Mayor Mark Mallory released a letter on Thursday that he requested from the US Department of Transportation.
Mallory says that canceling the project will force the city to pay back tens of thousands of dollars that can't be used for anything else.
The US Department of Transportation invested nearly $45 million in the $133 million project,
Mallory says between construction, contracts and money spent so far, the city has already committed $116 million to the project.
The Department of Transportation says that some of the money, if returned, could end up being used for other projects in other areas.