CINCINNATI, OH (FOX19) - University of Cincinnati Criminal Justice students joined with Cincinnati and UC Police this morning to distribute crime prevention literature in neighborhoods around the Uptown campus.
Nearly 40 students assisted officers in delivering over 2,500 door hangers with tips that can help reduce robbery, burglary, and theft from auto offenses in the communities adjacent to campus.
With the Thanksgiving break approaching, the distributed materials intend to remind students not to load their cars the night before they leave, and to take precautions to prevent burglaries while they are gone. Tips on the door hangers included:
- Leaving lights and a radio on timers will help make a house or apartment look occupied.
- Keep blinds closed on first floor windows.
- Make sure all doors and windows are securely locked.
- Take portable valuables such as jewelry, laptops, and other personal electronics with you.
- Put mail on hold, or arrange with someone to pick up mail.
According to UC, there are over 900 students in their Criminal Justice program, which prepares for careers ranging from law enforcement, private security, juvenile justice, rehabilitation services, probation and parole positions.