CINCINNATI, OH (FOX19) - Duke Energy has offered information to help customers save money, energy and be safe during the holiday season.
Here is something that may surprise customers, Six 100-bulb sets of large, incandescent bulbs (600 bulbs total) plugged in six hours every evening can add up to $80 to a monthly power bill.
By comparison, six 100-bulb sets of similarly styled light-emitting diode (LED) bulbs would increase a monthly power bill by only about $7. Using six 100-bulb sets of mini-LED bulbs would increase a monthly power bill by only $1.
Holiday lighting reminders:
- Before installing lights, check each set – new and old – for damaged sockets, loose connections and frayed or bare wires. Discard or replace damaged sets before using.
- Never use more than three standard-sized sets of lights per extension cord.
- Plug exterior lights into ground-fault interruptible (GFI) outlets only. If the home lacks outside GFI outlets, call an electrician to install them.
- Dust your light bulbs regularly, as dirt absorbs light and wastes energy.
- Before climbing a ladder, inspect it to ensure it's in good working condition and follow the weight limits specified on the ladder.
- Ladders that lean against a wall or other support should be angled so the horizontal distance from the top support to the foot of the ladder is about one-quarter the working length of the ladder.
- Never use a ladder for any purpose other than for what it's designed. Also, never use a ladder on or near power lines.