Defective gas fireplace to blame for East Walnut Hills fire

EAST WALNUT HILLS, OH (FOX19) - Crews say that a defective gas fireplace is to blame for a fire that caused heavy damage to an East Walnut Hills home.

The fire broke out around 11:30 a.m. Thursday in the 1900 block of Madison Road. Dispatch received reports of a burning smell in the home and visible smoke.

Firefighters arriving on the scene initially reported nothing showing. However, upon further investigation, crews discovered a small fire in the building.

The fire was quickly extinguished and confined to the area of origin.

Fire crews say no one was injured in the blaze. Damage has been estimated at $20 thousand.

Copyright 2013 WXIX. All rights reserved.