Vet shoots at police, SWAT stand off ends with him in custody - Cincinnati News, Weather, Sports from FOX19 NOW-WXIX

Military veteran in custody after 20 hour standoff in Latonia

SWAT team on the scene SWAT team on the scene
Vaughan being taken from the scene Vaughan being taken from the scene
Children being removed from the home during the incident Children being removed from the home during the incident
Vaughan from a previous arrest (Source: Kenton Co. Jail) Vaughan from a previous arrest (Source: Kenton Co. Jail)

A former combat veteran is in custody after an extensive standoff with authorities in Latonia.

The incident began when authorities were called to the home of Michael Vaughan in the 4300 block of Michigan Ave on Saturday. Upon arrival, Vaughan refused to let them inside and barricaded himself and his three children in the home.

Covington Chief of Police Spike Jones said there was reason to believe Vaughan was dealing with issues related to post traumatic stress disorder.

SWAT teams were called to the home, upon which Vaughan began to fire shots from the third-story window of his home. According to police, negotiators from Covington's tactical team were communicating with Vaughan in to the overnight hours.

Vaughan was interacting with people via his Facebook page during the first 7 hours of the event. He referenced grievances with veteran's service offices in his posts and threatened to continue to defend himself no matter the outcome of the situation.  He also mentioned several times that his children were asleep and not aware of what was going on.

Chief Jones said authorities were very concerned for the safety of the children. Around 8 a.m. on Sunday, Vaughan agreed to release the children in exchange for a phone call with an unspecified individual he wanted to speak with.

The three children, ages 15, 11 and five, were smoothly retrieved from the home. According to Chief Jones, the children were immediately put in to an armored vehicle and taken for medical evaluation, saying they were "great and followed our directions." All three children are currently in the custody of family members.

Vaughan began firing at authorities again around 12:40 p.m., with officers returning fire. He was struck with a bullet in the upper arm, an injury authorities say is non-life threatening. 

After the gunfire exchange, Vaughan set his home on fire but was apprehended by police before the fire became too serious.

Crews put out the fire and Vaughan was taken to the University of Cincinnati Medical Center for treatment.

He was charged with attempted murder of a police officer, but Chief Jones said he expects additional charges.

Residents of the surrounding area had their electric shut off during the incident and were urged to stay indoors and away from windows. A command post was set up at Latonia Elementary and Chief Jones says Latonia residents were very cooperative during the standoff. 

Copyright 2013 WXIX. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly