Man suffers burns saving puppy from Hamilton fire

HAMILTON, OH (FOX19) - A Hamilton man suffered burns to his face and hands trying to save a puppy from a burning building.

Fire crews first received reports of the fire around 11:45 a.m. on Friday afternoon. Firefighters were dispatched to a two-story building in the 600 block of Ludlow Street.

Upon arrival, crews found flames coming from the second floor of a four-unit apartment building. Following an aggressive attack, crews found all occupants were able to escape the blaze.

Firefighters say that one occupant took it upon himself to rescue a puppy trapped on the second floor of the building. The man suffered burns to his hands and face while rescuing the puppy and was transported to West Chester Hospital.

The puppy was rescued and resuscitated by Hamilton fire personnel, using the animal resuscitation kit recently donated by the Queen City Dog Training Club.

Fire crews say that a portable heater caused the fire. Damage has been estimated at $50 thousand.

Copyright 2014 WXIX. All rights reserved.