Recipe for Caldereta:
- 1 lb beef stew meat, cut in cubes (or chicken breast)
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 large onion
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed, minced
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 2 tbsp olive oil or organic canola oil
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 3 red potatoes, diced
- 1 cup edamame or frozen peas
- 1 cup apple or orange juice
- 2 oz liver pate
- 1 tsp dried Italian herb mix: basil, oregano, thyme
- 1 red or green pepper, diced
- 1 small can green or black olives
- Hot chili sauce (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a skillet, add beef, sauté for 7-10 minutes or until brown.
- Blend in soy sauce, set aside.
- Heat the other 1 tbsp oil in a large pot.
- Add onions, garlic and tomatoes. Saute for 2 minutes.
- Add tomato paste, carrots, potatoes, edamame and juice. Stir ingredients together.
- Dissolve liver pate in mixture, add herbs.
- Toss in browned meat.
- Cover and simmer on medium low for 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Add sweet peppers, olives and hot chili sauce, stir.
- Season with sea salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook for 2 minutes longer.
- Serve hot over brown rice.
- Servings: 6
Nutrition Information per serving:
360 calories, 28 g Protein, 31 g Carbohydrates, 14 g Fat, 111 mg Cholesterol, 877 mg Sodium