CINCINNATI, OH (FOX19) - If you're interested in joining the Cincinnati Rollergirls team as a skater or referee for the 2014 season, a series of four boot camps will be held to get you ready for tryouts on January 12, 2014.
What skaters will have to do at tryouts to make the team:
- Skate 5 laps around the derby track in less than 1 minute. (No Cincinnati Rollergirl takes more than 50 seconds to skate 5 laps.)
- Perform turn-around toe stops, plow stops and hockey stops.
- Skate backward.
- Skate with others by speeding up and slowing down between two CRG skaters and skating around in a "super pack" of skaters.
- Give and receive derby hits to the inside and the outside of the track.
Overall potential as a roller derby skater:
- Positive attitude
- Basic knowledge of the sport of flat track roller derby (www.wftda.com/rules)
- Ability to listen and apply new knowledge
- Ability to pick up new skills quickly
- Time commitment and availability