Wednesday, July 23 2014 1:33 PM EDT2014-07-23 17:33:43 GMT
Ukraine is preparing a departure ceremony for the bodies of victims of the Malaysia Airlines disaster, which are being flown to the Netherlands.Full Story >
Two planes carrying 40 coffins bearing victims of the downed Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 landed Wednesday in the southern city of Eindhoven, and pro-Russian rebels shot down two fighter jets in Ukraine's restive east...Full Story >
Wednesday, July 23 2014 12:23 PM EDT2014-07-23 16:23:08 GMT
Dozens of Palestinian families trapped by clashes between Hamas militants and Israeli troops are scrambling to flee a southern Gaza Strip neighborhood as Israel reported that two more of its soldiers have died in...Full Story >
Israeli troops battled Hamas militants on Wednesday near a southern Gaza Strip town as the top U.S. diplomat reported progress in efforts to end fighting that has so far killed more than 680 Palestinians and 34 Israelis.Full Story >
OLATHE, KS (KCTV) -
A dog seeking leftovers caught her home on fire, Olathe firefighters said Thursday.
The dog was home alone when the goldendoodle, named Harley, decided to go after leftovers. The dog accidentally turned on a burner on the gas stove, which ignited the top of the stove, investigators determined.
Firefighters credit the screeching sound of smoke alarms for alerting neighbors who called authorities. Firefighters responded at 9:45 a.m. and were able to put the fire out.
The 7-month-old dog was also rescued from the two-story townhome, Capt. Mike Hall of the Olathe Fire Department told KCTV5.
Jared Herrera said a neighbor called him at work to alert him about the smoke detectors blaring.
"Your mind is racing. You are thinking the worst-case scenario," he said.
The fire was contained to the stove but smoke did fill the apartment, which Herrera has spent the afternoon airing out.
Herrera said he raced to his home, and learned a cutting board left near the stove with a wooden utensil on it caught fire. He said Harley was scared and clearly knew something bad had happened.
"I have caught her before in the past trying to get up here and snoop around," he said. "That's exactly what happened."
Firefighters found Harley on the floor by the front door. When they opened the door, a neighbor yelled for Harley who fled the smoke to her waiting arms.
Herrera said he is "OCD" about checking his batteries in his smoke alarms, and has a working carbon monoxide detector. He said he is grateful to his neighbors for acting so quickly by calling authorities and alerting him.
"Without my neighbors, I could have lost everything," he said. "I love them."
He thanked the management at Westerfield homes and the Olathe Fire Department as well.
"The Olathe Fire Department's response time was fantastic," he said. "It was unbelievable."
The home is at 1037 E. Prairie St.
Herrera and his wife have three young children.
Hall said the situation could have been much worse if not for the working smoke detectors. He said to be sure and test your smoke alarms and replace any alarms that are at least 10 years old.
Copyright 2014 KCTV (Meredith Corp.). All rights reserved.
Wednesday, July 23 2014 8:10 AM EDT2014-07-23 12:10:49 GMT
A man walked into the Engine 5 firehouse in Over-the-Rhine Wednesday morning, saying he was shot. He was transported to University of Cincinnati Hospital Medical Center but his identity and conditionFull Story >
A man walked into the Engine 5 firehouse in Over-the-Rhine Wednesday morning, saying he was shot.Full Story >
Monday, July 21 2014 8:22 AM EDT2014-07-21 12:22:54 GMT
State officials issued an ultimatum at East Fork State Park last month, saying swimming in the lake is at your own risk. The Ohio Department of Natural Resources found the lake to have 3,000%Full Story >
State officials issued an ultimatum at East Fork State Park last month, saying swimming in the lake is at your own risk. Full Story >