FOX19 asked Amy Tobin to come up with ideas for the 2014 Seattle v. Denver Super Bowl battle. Here is her nod to the Seahawks: a (Seattle) coffee rubbed pork slider with (Washington) cherry BBQ sauce.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 3 hours
Total Time: 3 hours and 20 minutes
What you'll need:
- 1 tablespoon finely ground coffee
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 pounds country-style pork ribs, trimmed of fat
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup tart cherry preserves
- 1/2 cup spicy barbecue sauce
- Reserved pan juices
Coleslaw (serves 4-6)
- 1/4 cup lowfat mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 1/2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- Several grinds of black pepper
- 1 tablespoon grated onion
- 4 cups finely shredded cabbage
- 1 carrot, finely shredded
Combine rub ingredients. Rub into both sides of the ribs.
Place the sliced onion in the bottom the crockpot. Add vinegar and bay leaf. Place seasoned meat on top.
Cover and cook on high 3 hours. Check for tenderness. Cook up to 30 minutes longer if needed.
Remove the meat and shred, using two forks. Reserve the pan juices.
Combine cherry preserves and spicy barbecue sauce. Stir in to the meat, adding enough pan juices to moisten to desired consistency.
Serve on slider buns. Top meat with coleslaw if desired.
Coleslaw: Combine dressing ingredients. Stir in cabbage and carrot. Refrigerate at least 2 hours and best overnight. Season with salt and pepper.