CINCINNATI, OH (FOX19) - The Hamilton County Sheriff's Office has a new crime fighting tool – social media.
On Friday, Sheriff Jim Neil launched a new online presence that includes a new website, Facebook page, Titter account and multiple blogs. The sheriff's office is working to use more social media resources as law enforcement tools.
"I'm a traditionalist. I get allot of my news either through hard copy or through the television," explains Sheriff Jim Neil. "There are people out there that get their information through social media and through websites. To reach more and more people, we want to make sure the message is utilized by all of the media and sources available to us."
Links to the Sheriff's Office's new online tools are as follows:
- New website: http://www.hcso.org/
- Sheriff Jim Neil's blog: http://www.hcso.org/category/blog-sheriff/
- Chief Schoonover's blog: http://www.hcso.org/category/blog-chief/
- HCSO on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hamilton-County-Sheriffs-Office/183515295083074
- HCSO on Twitter: https://twitter.com/hcso_org
The sheriff's office says they are using Facebook and Twitter to post information such as wanted posters and get crime tips from members of the community.
They also launched a new 'Text a Tip' program when individuals can remain anonymous.