(FOX19) - Chef Ursula's recipe for Zesty Chocolate BBQ Sauce:
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ onion, small dice
- 2 Roma tomatoes, small dice
- 1 ½ oz. dark brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 4 oz. apple cider vinegar
- 8 oz. regular barbeque sauce (I used Sweet Baby Ray's)
- 14 oz. vegetable stock
- ¼ teaspoon cumin, ground
- ¼ cinnamon, ground
- 1/8 teaspoon cloves, ground
- 2 oz. bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, fresh, chopped
- ¾ teaspoon salt, or to taste
- ½ teaspoon pepper, fresh ground, or to taste
- Melt butter in small saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and onion, sauté 5 minutes until golden brown.
- Add tomatoes, stir, and sauté an additional 5 minutes.
- Add sugar and chili powder, mix well, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add vinegar, reduce for 5 minutes, until mixture has a paste consistency.
- Add BBQ sauce, stock, cumin, cinnamon, cloves, salt and pepper. Mix well. Bring to a boil and reduce to a slow simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add chocolate and cilantro; allow to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove sauce from heat and let stand for 10 minutes. Transfer to a clean container and cool.
- For best results, refrigerate for 12 hours before using.