(FOX19) - Chef Renée Schuler's recipe for White Chicken Chili is a great dish for easy entertaining!
Recipe for White Chicken Chili:
Yield: serves 4-6
- In heavy bottomed soup pot sauté onions in butter over medium heat.
- Once soft reduce heat to low and sprinkle flour over sautéed onions, stir to combine.
- Cook flour in onions, stirring constantly, for about 3 minutes.
- Remove pot from heat, gradually add chicken broth and half & half whisking constantly.
- Bring mixture to a simmer, let cook for 7 minutes while stirring occasionally.
- Stir in chili powder, cumin, and season with salt and pepper, (if using canned broth, be sparse with salt until closer to the end of cooking time)
- Add beans, chilies, and chicken. Stir together carefully so as not to break up the beans, and simmer for 20 minutes over low heat. Do not let chili boil.
- Stir in sour cream, adjust seasoning with additional salt, pepper or hot sauce to taste
Serve with some or all of the following toppings: shredded Cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese, diced tomatoes, pickled jalapenos, bottled hot sauce, chopped cilantro and green onions.
Round out the meal with tortilla chips and salsa, a green salad and dessert.