(FOX19) - New figures show the number of deadly fires is on the rise. FOX19's Kelly Rippin is live in Hebron to explain.
Unfortunately, fire crews say this is a trend they're seeing across the country.
Mike Fronimos of the Hebron Fire Protection District says there are several ways to prevent these fires from happening:
- Make sure your smoke detector is working properly with fresh batteries.
- Always use a proper candleholder, and keep candles away from anything flammable.
- Keep portable heaters away from furniture, flammable items and always turn them off when you leave the house.
- Place a fixed fire guard to place around an open fire.
- Unplug all electrical items before you go to bed.
- Always use correctly rated fuses in all electrical appliances.
- Never run electrical cables/leads under carpets.
To learn more about the Hebron Fire Protection District, visit www.hebronfire.org