(FOX19) - It's almost summer travel season.
On Thursday's FOX19 Morning News, we'll have Beth Duppstadt from LoveLand & Sea Travel who will share some tips for planning that much-needed vacation.
1. When should I book my trip?
-Airfare should be booked at least six weeks in advance.
-To get the best selection of resorts, cruise ships and the best flight times book ASAP.
-Now is the perfect time to start planning for summer travel.
2. What about last-minute deals and discount websites?
-Booking last-minute can save money sometimes but you are limited to what's available. Room requests and preferred flight times may not be honored.
-Always read the fine print when you see deals online. To get those rates you could be required to attend a time share presentation, pay additional fees once you arrive or be transferred to a different hotel if they overbook.
-If something seems to good to be true, it probably is.
3. What about Hurricane Season?
- Hurricane season in the Caribbean runs from June-November.
- Prices are lower during this off season and it's still likely you will have beautiful weather and sunshine.
- Travel insurance is always recommended. There are many types of plans with varying coverage so it's best to speak with a travel professional about your options.
4. Where can I go without a passport?
- Although passports are recommended for any type of international travel, you are not required to have one if you are visiting Puerto Rico or the U.S. Virgin Islands.
- Caribbean cruises typically do not require passports if they start and end in the same U.S. port.
- Other international destinations require a passport for everyone, including children.
- Check with your travel professional or http://www.state.gov/travel for more information.
5. Where should I go this summer?
- Some hotspots this year are Los Cabos, Mexico; South Africa, Brazil and Punta Cana, Dominican Republic as well as Orlando, Fla. and Myrtle Beach, S.C.
- The best place to go really depends on the traveler. This is where a travel agent and destination specialist comes in. We can match the experience you are looking for with the destination and resort or cruise ship that fits it best.