Dayton, Ohio Veterans Affairs hospital shooting injures one - Cincinnati News, FOX19-WXIX TV

Dayton, Ohio VA hospital shooting injures one

A police SWAT vehicle at the Dayton Veterans Affairs hospital. Photo by Troy Miller A police SWAT vehicle at the Dayton Veterans Affairs hospital. Photo by Troy Miller

The Dayton Veterans Affairs hospital closed their doors to the public for the day Monday while police continued to investigate a shooting in the hospital basement.

Dayton Police say it started when a retired housekeeping employee brought a gun into a basement break room they believe with the intention of seriously injuring a former co-worker.

"They evacuated the building and we've all been out here for almost exactly an hour now," said Steve Johnson outside of the VA hospital Monday afternoon.

Around noon the hospital went into to lock down with no one allowed on the grounds or out of the building.

"A lot of questions. Everybody is asking everybody what is going on and stuff. A lot of phone calls making sure everybody is okay," said patient Troy Miller.

At least one shot was fired from a revolver in a basement break room just after noon by 59-year-old Neil Moore, a retired employee with the VA housekeeping department.

"An individual was taken into custody about a half hour or so later actually at (Dayton) Good Samaritan Hospital where the person arrived seeking psychiatric services. That individual is Neil Moore," said Dayton Police Chief Richard Biehl.

"The single victim in this incident is a Paul Burnside. He is a male 61 years of age. He actually struggled with Mr. Moore over the weapon and that is when he was shot," said Biehl.

Burnside, a current employee at the hospital, suffered one gunshot wound to the ankle. He is recovering from his injuries at the hospital.

"I happened to be in the lobby at the time it happened and you could just see when everyone started scurrying. You know something is up and something was up," said Johnson.

Police agencies from all over the area including the FBI kept the hospital locked down for nearly two hours searching for more victims or suspects. They now believe Moore acted alone but still aren't sure what caused the 59-year-old retired VA housekeeper to suddenly become violent.

Employees were allowed back into the building around three o'clock Monday afternoon. The FBI will now take over the investigation.

The Dayton VA hospital does not have metal detectors or a search system upon entry to the facility.

Related content:

Slide show of photos from Monday's shooting

Dayton VA Medical Center shooting: 1 injured, suspect arrested

1 employee hurt in Ohio VA hospital shooting

Copyright 2014 WXIX. All rights reserved.


Powered by Frankly