Family of missing canoeist says they're not giving up - Cincinnati News, Weather, Sports from FOX19 NOW-WXIX

Family of missing canoeist says they're not giving up

Search dogs and boats on the water Sunday. (Gordon Graham) Search dogs and boats on the water Sunday. (Gordon Graham)
Buerger and Stanaford. Buerger and Stanaford.
(FOX19) -

The family of a missing canoeist is asking for volunteers to help search for the 20-year-old.  

With each passing day the search for Cameron Buerger continues to grow since he went missing last week while canoeing with a friend. With search areas on both sides of the Ohio river expanding, the willingness of volunteers is doing the same.

"Of course it's Mother's day. We had about 37 volunteers that came out and tried to find those people, trying to get closure to a mother in Ohio," said Mike Moore, the Pendleton County Emergency Manager.

The volunteers came from Pendleton County, Buffalo Trace, Harrison and Robertson counties. It was an impressive turnout for officials.

"The response to our call was excellent. These are Ohio residents that left from Ohio. Included some work canoeing over to the Kentucky side. None of that mattered, we all came together," said Buffalo Trace Search and Rescue Chief Alex Hrycza.

Diana Wright explains it's a small sacrifice to give up her Mother's Day to volunteer. 

"Because there's a mother that's lost their child. It's the least we can do to volunteer our time to find some peace and closure for that family whether it's good or bad it gives them answers." 

The body of 19-year-old Marty Stanaford was found on Friday. He and Buerger were last seen on the shore of Dover, Ky. getting out of the canoe. Rescuers are still trying to figure out exactly what happened.

Sunday's efforts were cut short by thunderstorms and Hrycza says this part of the coordinated search is over.

"I've decided for our Kentucky volunteers to go ahead and terminate the recovery phase so that for our paperwork and things and getting reports down to Frankfort it'll all be ending tonight," Hrycza explained. 

Meanwhile, family, friends and other volunteers plan to resume the search for Cameron Buerger Monday. The Buerger family said they welcome help from anyone available to assist in their efforts. A close friend of the Buergers tells FOX19 that the search will continue until Cameron is found.

Related: Body of missing canoeist found, canoe recovered 50 miles downstream

Copyright 2014 WXIX. All rights reserved.

  • FOX19 HeadlinesMore>>

  • Trump announces plans for Pentagon to create 'Space Force'

    Trump announces plans for Pentagon to create 'Space Force'

    Monday, June 18 2018 11:11 AM EDT2018-06-18 15:11:00 GMT
    Tuesday, June 19 2018 10:34 AM EDT2018-06-19 14:34:52 GMT
    The White House is establishing a new policy for reducing satellite clutter in space.Full Story >
    The White House is establishing a new policy for reducing satellite clutter in space.Full Story >
  • S. Korea: Joint US drills suspended to aid talks with North

    S. Korea: Joint US drills suspended to aid talks with North

    Tuesday, June 19 2018 1:50 AM EDT2018-06-19 05:50:33 GMT
    Tuesday, June 19 2018 10:34 AM EDT2018-06-19 14:34:18 GMT
    (AP Photo/Ahn Young-joon). A photo showing U.S. President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un is displayed as a member of People's Democratic Party stands to oppose military exercises between the United States and South Korea near the U.S....(AP Photo/Ahn Young-joon). A photo showing U.S. President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un is displayed as a member of People's Democratic Party stands to oppose military exercises between the United States and South Korea near the U.S....

    South Korea says a joint military exercise scheduled with the U.S. has been suspended to support ongoing talks both countries have with North Korea.

    Full Story >

    South Korea says a joint military exercise scheduled with the U.S. has been suspended to support ongoing talks both countries have with North Korea.

    Full Story >
  • In tit-for-tat, Trump threatens more tariffs against China

    In tit-for-tat, Trump threatens more tariffs against China

    Tuesday, June 19 2018 12:20 AM EDT2018-06-19 04:20:31 GMT
    Tuesday, June 19 2018 10:33 AM EDT2018-06-19 14:33:32 GMT
    President Donald Trump gestures as he signs a "Space Policy Directive" during a meeting of the National Space Council in the East Room of the White House, Monday, June 18, 2018, in Washington, as Vice President Mike Pence watches.  AP Photo/Susan Walsh)President Donald Trump gestures as he signs a "Space Policy Directive" during a meeting of the National Space Council in the East Room of the White House, Monday, June 18, 2018, in Washington, as Vice President Mike Pence watches. AP Photo/Susan Walsh)

    A new 10 percent tariff on $200 billion in Chinese imports is being threatened by Trump in the latest move toward what could become a trade war.

    Full Story >

    A new 10 percent tariff on $200 billion in Chinese imports is being threatened by Trump in the latest move toward what could become a trade war.

    Full Story >
Powered by Frankly