COLERAIN TOWNSHIP, OH (FOX19) - Emergency crews say that one dog perished in a Colerain Township house fire on Monday afternoon. However, despite the family's loss, emergency crews were able to pull some family memories from the blaze.
Within minutes, a home at the 3800 block of Woodsong Drive in Colerain Township went up in flames. A fire believed to have started in the basement near an electrical panel quickly spread to all three floors.
"We turned the corner, we saw the smoke and we knew we had a little bit of work to do today," said Captain Mark Thurman with the Springfield Township Fire Department.
Scott Angus who owns the home said there isn't much left of his childhood home but one particular piece of family history miraculously survived.
"I had my father's flag. He was a paratrooper with the screaming eagles and I had some of his military stuff and his flag," said Angus.
"When I saw that, it reminded me of my father who served in WWII. I remember my flag at my mom's house and my nephew who passed away, his flag that my sister has and I knew it was important. So that is why I grabbed it," said Captain Thurman.
Captain Thurman handed off that flag to another firefighter who gave it to Angus' mother while she watched smoke pouring from her home. It's just one of a few pieces they managed to save. Angus says the loss is still devastating but what Captain Thurman saved is what really matters.
"It means the world to me. The rest of it can be replaced," said Angus.
"There are some things that can't be replaced and that can't be replaced," said Captain Thurman.
Angus says the home is more than likely a total loss and they will have to demolish it. A family dog also passed away in the fire. He said there was a second flag inside. His grandfather served in WWI. He found that flag Tuesday morning and thankfully, it too is salvageable.
Captain Thurman says it is common for firefighters to keep an eye out for personal property while putting out house fire. As soon as they determine no lives are in peril, their next focus is to save property.