Craig Leibelt was swimming in Mexico when he was stung by a jellyfish
Leibelt and his girlfriend were on vacation for his 28th birthday
As of Thursday morning, a fundraiser for Leibelt was more than halfway to its goal
PORTLAND, OR (KPTV) -
The family of a Portland man had to fight to get him back to the United States after he suffered a severe reaction to a jellyfish sting while swimming in Mexico.
The former Portland State University student is now in San Diego.
Craig Leibelt was on vacation in Cabo San Lucas with his girlfriend to celebrate his 28th birthday. While he was swimming on Monday, he was stung by a jellyfish, had a bad reaction to it, and went into cardiac arrest.
Leibelt went to a Cabo San Lucas hospital because he couldn't breathe on his own.
Leibelt's family and friends said the Mexican hospital kept upping his bill to as much as $50,000, telling them they wouldn't work with Leibelt's insurance company or release him until it was paid in full.
"The number went up to $40,000, then $50,000 last night, saying 'You have to pay this amount of money or we're going to move you to a different hospital,'" said Leibelt's friend Steve Cooper Wednesday. "All the while, he's still in critical condition. All the while, he's still unconscious."
Leibelt's family said it worked with the U.S. Embassy and was able to negotiate the bill down to about $30,000 and got Craig on a plane back to the U.S. Wednesday night.
Friends and family have set up a fundraising account for Leibelt's treatment and expensive trip back home. You can find that account HERE.
Copyright 2014 KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved.