(FOX19) - Late life depression affects nearly 6 million Americans age 65 and older, but only one in 10 receives treatment.
Rodger Miller from SYNERGY HomeCare says there are symptoms to look for if you are worried that a family member has depression or dementia.
Here are the warning signs:
5 Warning Signs of Depression:
1. Feelings of hopelessness, guilt
2. Feeling worthless
3. No longer interested in activities or hobbies they used to enjoy
4. Fatigue and decreased energy
5. Insomnia, waking early in the morning or excessive sleeping
5 Warning Signs of Dementia:
1. Memory loss that disrupts daily life
2. Difficulty planning or solving problems
3. Difficulty completing familiar tasks
4. Confusion with time or place
5. Developing new problems with words while speaking or writing