(FOX19) - Looking for employment? Larry Magnesen, Senior Vice President of Fifth Third Bank, visited FOX19 to explain how NextJob's Job Seekers Toolkit can help you land a job.
Here are five tips for expanding your job search:
• Use LinkedIn: Networking is the number one way most people get jobs. Use LinkedIn to make connections, send out your resume, research companies and build a stable of job leads.
• Volunteer: A recent study showed that unemployed Americans who volunteer are 27 percent more likely to find employment. Volunteering is a great way to make connections, get your foot in the door and get hands-on experience. (Source: http://www.nationalservice.gov/impact-our-nation/research-and-reports/volunteering-pathway-employment-report)
• Get Coffee: Ask an employee in your targeted company or field to coffee and ask them what makes a great employee for the job or company. You'll learn a lot about the company and you'll likely gain an ally who can direct you to open positions.
• Know Yourself: Understand your personality, passion, skills and values. Study how you are made. Employers have a hard time knowing you if you don't know you.
• Stuff the Fluff: Get rid of the fluff in your resume and cover letter. Get straight to your accomplishments and experience. Be humbly confident in what you bring to the table.
Fifth Third Bank customers have free access to the Job Seekers Toolkit all the time, but right now, it is free to any job seeker through July 13.
Watch the video above for more information.