Fire damages Hamilton house being remodeled - Cincinnati News, FOX19-WXIX TV

Fire damages Hamilton house being remodeled

Posted: Updated:
File photo. File photo.
HAMILTON, OH (FOX19) -

Officials said a fire broke out in the attic of a home Thursday evening in Hamilton that was in a middle of remodeling.

Firefighters were dispatched at about 8:15 p.m. to a two-story home in the 1100 block of Azel Avenue. The first arriving fire crews found heavy smoke on the second floor as they pulled the attic access stairs down to reveal the fire, officials said.

Hamilton firefighters were able to contain the fire to the attic space and very little damage was done in the rest of the home.

The resident was working in the garage at the time and saw smoke, officials said. Authorities said the home was in the final phase of a total remodel.

No injuries were reported. Damage was estimated at $20,000.

"This fire highlights the need to be extremely careful when using extension cords," Hamilton Fire Deputy Chief Jeff Shaw said in a release. "They need to be sized appropriately and used sparingly."

Copyright 2014 WXIX. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow