Record settlement reached in Aussie wildfire suit - Cincinnati News, FOX19-WXIX TV

Record settlement reached in Aussie wildfire suit

Posted: Updated:
(AP Photo/Rick Rycroft, File) (AP Photo/Rick Rycroft, File)
(AP Photo/Rick Rycroft, File). FILE - This Feb. 8, 2009 file photo, shows a small acreage burned out in Kinglake, northeast of Melbourne, Australia. (AP Photo/Rick Rycroft, File). FILE - This Feb. 8, 2009 file photo, shows a small acreage burned out in Kinglake, northeast of Melbourne, Australia.
(AP Photo/Rick Rycroft, File). FILE - This Feb. 9, 2009 file photo, shows a dead horse that was trapped by raging fires lying at the side of a road near the community of Kinglake, north east of Melbourne, Australia. (AP Photo/Rick Rycroft, File). FILE - This Feb. 9, 2009 file photo, shows a dead horse that was trapped by raging fires lying at the side of a road near the community of Kinglake, north east of Melbourne, Australia.

SYDNEY (AP) - Survivors of one of Australia's deadliest wildfires are to be awarded nearly 500 million Australian dollars in a class-action settlement reached Tuesday, the largest such compensation in the nation's history.

The fire killed 119 people and was the biggest in a series of blazes that tore through the southern Australian state of Victoria in 2009.

More than 5,000 people joined the class action against electricity provider SP AusNet, arguing the company was negligent because it hadn't maintained its power lines, which sparked the fire. The group also sued Utility Services Corporation Ltd., which SP AusNet hired to maintain the lines, and the Victorian government.

On Tuesday, the defendants agreed to pay a total of AU$494.7 million (US$470 million). The plaintiffs include relatives of the dead and people who were injured or owned property that was destroyed or damaged in the fire.

Attorney Andrew Watson, who represents the plaintiffs, said the settlement still needs final court approval. It will then take 12 to 18 months to distribute the payouts, he said.

"No amount of money will ever compensate those who were affected by the fire for the losses they have suffered," Watson told reporters in Melbourne. "But this settlement of nearly $500 million represents a measure of justice and some real compensation that will ease the financial burden of their suffering."

SP AusNet said in a statement that it had agreed to the settlement, but had not admitted liability. The company said the conductor that broke and sparked the fire had been damaged by lightning.

"It has been a tough, grueling five years since the fire killed our son, left our daughter without her big brother and destroyed our home," lead plaintiff Carol Matthews said. "There is so much pain that is still very real, but today there is also a sense of justice."

The devastating fires in Victoria state in 2009 killed 173 people overall and destroyed more than 2,000 homes in just over a single day.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Powered by WorldNow